US ports longshoremen’s strike (East and Gulf coasts) (25 Viewers)

The automation issue is really tough - the workings of a port, especially a container port, seem really apt for automation. I don’t know enough about the arguments but that business case seems hard to fight in the long run . . . unless the counter arguments are both compelling and true.

The automation issue is really tough - the workings of a port, especially a container port, seem really apt for automation. I don’t know enough about the arguments but that business case seems hard to fight in the long run . . . unless the counter arguments are both compelling and true.

I think part of it is the union attempting to get what they can now, BECAUSE automation is inevitable for efficiency. As you well know, this is about leverage. As i see it, unless the ports already have massive amounts of automation in place, they really dont have much leverage.

I saw a snippet last night as the strike deadline passed- a professor from Penn interviewed saying he didnt think it would last long because of the amount of revenue that would be lost - somewhere close to $2B a DAY. ( all ports combined )

pulled this tidbit from MAP board

interesting - certainly gives a "look" that the timing of this might be suspect. Right now, just pure speculation but where there is smoke....

I think part of it is the union attempting to get what they can now, BECAUSE automation is inevitable for efficiency. As you well know, this is about leverage. As i see it, unless the ports already have massive amounts of automation in place, they really dont have much leverage.
Check out the ports in Rotterdam, Guangzhou or Singapore. We are 20 years behind the curve on automation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom