Visiting Charleston! (1 Viewer)

nolaswede

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Me and the lady are going to Charleston in a few weeks and looking for some recommendations. Was there 15 years ago, remember that I liked it but thats about it. Haven’t booked a hotel yet, but have been looking at the Ryder Hotel, which seems pretty nice and like the location.

Hotels, restaurants, sites etc that we should check out? We mostly want to check out the city and hangout at a rooftop bar(during the day not late at night).

This can all change, and up for recommendations, but so far we booked:

Brassiere La Banque(dinner)
Eleve(lunch at their rooftop restaurant)
Malagon(dinner - big fan of tapas)

Some of the famous restaurants like Fig are already booked up!

Let’s hear it!!!

Last edited:
Not sure when you’re going but FIG opens up reservations 28 days ahead - by phone. If you’re outside of 28 days just set an alert and call them that day.

I think the best rooftop bars are the at Vendue (daytime casual chill) and the Citrus Club (more of a scene - good cocktails). Eleve is okay but the view isn’t that great and the food is sort of meh, but I have only been there once, perhaps that’s not a great source.

I think Ordinary is outstanding. John Lewis and Leon’s are great lunch choices. If you want to do 167 Raw go at lunch and go by there about an hour before you want to go and get your name on the list. That place is really good but always packed.

Ryder is indeed a great location. I don’t know it well, it’s fairly new but it looks like they did a really nice job on that renovation.

Have fun!

Also if a place you want to go to is already booked if they’re on the Resy app (much of CHS is) you can set an alert for when there’s a cancellation.

I often get good tables doing that. You have to be quick on the draw when it goes off but it does happen, regularly.

If you haven't visited there already, try going to the old Charleston City Jail in the city's harbor. If you're interested in studying the history of the transatlantic slave trade from the mid-17rh century up until and even including the Civil War era, thats where most West African slaves were kept and boarded until taken away to the town's markets to be sold or transferred to other major slave markets in other mid-Atlantic or Southern U.S. ports like Baltimore, Richmond, Savannah, Washington D.C. up until 1830's(slave trade was outlawed in DC, but not slavery itself up until the outbreak of Civil War), pirates, privateers, criminals were also held at the old Charleston Jail, but it was mostly used to hold captured West-African slaves until being sold permanently.

FIG has a shared table (10 top, I think) in the front of the restaurant that is first come first served. That's how we went (2 of us), and it was delightful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom