Article Week 6 Rapid Response: Go Ahead and Break the Glass (5 Viewers)

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Administrator
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1728899721236.png
Credit: Michael Bacigalupi

1727089368593.png

By Dan Levy - Staff Writer - Saintsreport.com

The New Orleans Saints’ 2024 season began with such promise. A veritable sugar high—the sweet, insulin-spiking convergence of flawless execution, dominant wins, and whispers of a magical season not seen since 2009, when the Saints brought home the franchise’s first—and, to date, only—Lombardi trophy.

Now one quarter and change into the season, those immaculate vibes are gone. Those beautiful wins, a distant memory, as four consecutive losses have since brought the Who Dat Nation careening back to Earth, wondering where it all went wrong. How could we—a fan base so marred in scars and disappointment, with some of the most historically heartbreaking losses logged in our annals (I’m looking at you, River City Relay, Minneapolis Miracle, and 2019 NFC Championship Game)—have so dramatically misjudged this team?

To be fair, it’s not just the fans who missed the mark. Joining them is the local and national media—and, it seems, the Saints’ coaches themselves. Each of us collectively realizing, in near-simultaneous fashion, that all that glitters is not, in fact, black and gold.

At the core of the Saints’ troubles are a variety of headwinds, starting with their mounting pile of injuries. The entire interior offensive line is a mangled patchwork. Starting WLB Pete Werner, who’s been in contention with Alontae Taylor for the team’s best defender, just missed his second game in a row. Taysom Hill, who has emerged as the single most important piece of the revamped offense (if you don’t believe me, just look at points scored with Hill on the field vs. without), has unfortunately missed more snaps than he’s played. Starting QB Derek Carr. Starting S Will Harris. Go ahead and add WR1 Chris Olave and star S Tyrann Mathieu to the list of walking wounded, each injured early in the Bucs’ game.

Suffice to say: the New Orleans Saints are not at full strength.

But this is the NFL, where injuries provide context, not excuses. In fact there is no excuse for the way the Saints mismanaged the Eagles and Falcons games, a pair of matches lost by a combined five points. Now fold in the last two games—a 26-13 loss to the Chiefs and a 51-27 thwacking at the hands of the Buccaneers—and the truth becomes much clearer.

The injuries haven’t foiled the Saints. They’ve just exposed them. Peeled back the veneer of a talented starting lineup to reveal a paper-thin team. One that lacks not only depth, but resiliency. Adaptability. A team that has done an inadequate job of replacing key departures to trade and free agency and—in some cases—retirement.

This situation, however unfortunate, is not unprecedented. To the contrary—we have all witnessed teams that have beat the odds and managed a late-season resurgence, overcoming injuries and setbacks and even strings of early losses to become that year's cinderella.

So why not this one? Who’s to say the 2024 New Orleans Saints can’t be America’s bounceback team?

While it’s certainly possible—and, if you look hard enough, you'll find reasons to be bullish—the odds are looking slimmer by the week. For starters, the Saints’ failed to bank a pair of early wins against conference and divisional foes. Critical wins that would have provided a much-needed cushion to weather these two most recent, more decisive losses. The Eagles and Falcons games were winnable. More than winnable—they were there for the taking, and the Saints failed to do what good teams do.

But far more disconcerting than any single loss or scoreline is the pattern on display. Poor decisions in critical situations. A demonstrated inability to read and respond to the ebb and flow of the game. A progressively undisciplined defense, operating under a befuddling philosophy, and an offense that is not only cratered by health but by an identity not compatible with its current strengths (which, to be fair, are few). Combined with a lack of urgency on both sides of the ball that is not only infuriating, but paralyzing, these become symptoms of a larger disease—the diagnosis of which, to any coach, could not be more clear.

The Saints have run out of answers.

Poor coaching. Poor execution. A roster plagued by injury. This is what the team is facing. Yes, the season is still young and each of these issues is manageable—but not without answers. And in the spirit of being honest, I must say—given the pattern I’ve seen unfolding—that I do not have confidence in this current group to find the answers in time. To patch the holes in this leaky ship before it takes on too much water.

But I’ll remain hopeful, nevertheless. Football is a crazy game, and perhaps with one or two shrewd roster moves, some better luck on the health front, and a few lessons learned from the head coach on down—the Saints can find the answers they need.

(Hey, Mickey Loomis... you hear that?)

(It's Davantae Adams on line one... )

1728899721236.png
Credit: Michael Bacigalupi

1727089368593.png

By Dan Levy - Staff Writer - Saintsreport.com

The New Orleans Saints’ 2024 season began with such promise. A veritable sugar high—the sweet, insulin-spiking convergence of flawless execution, dominant wins, and whispers of a magical season not seen since 2009, when the Saints brought home the franchise’s first—and, to date, only—Lombardi trophy.

Now one quarter and change into the season, those immaculate vibes are gone. Those beautiful wins, a distant memory, as four consecutive losses have since brought the Who Dat Nation careening back to Earth, wondering where it all went wrong. How could we—a fan base so marred in scars and disappointment, with some of the most historically heartbreaking losses logged in our annals (I’m looking at you, River City Relay, Minneapolis Miracle, and 2019 NFC Championship Game)—have so dramatically misjudged this team?

To be fair, it’s not just the fans who missed the mark. Joining them is the local and national media—and, it seems, the Saints’ coaches themselves. Each of us collectively realizing, in near-simultaneous fashion, that all that glitters is not, in fact, black and gold.

At the core of the Saints’ troubles are a variety of headwinds, starting with their mounting pile of injuries. The entire interior offensive line is a mangled patchwork. Starting WLB Pete Werner, who’s been in contention with Alontae Taylor for the team’s best defender, just missed his second game in a row. Taysom Hill, who has emerged as the single most important piece of the revamped offense (if you don’t believe me, just look at points scored with Hill on the field vs. without), has unfortunately missed more snaps than he’s played. Starting QB Derek Carr. Starting S Will Harris. Go ahead and add WR1 Chris Olave and star S Tyrann Mathieu to the list of walking wounded, each injured early in the Bucs’ game.

Suffice to say: the New Orleans Saints are not at full strength.

But this is the NFL, where injuries provide context, not excuses. In fact there is no excuse for the way the Saints mismanaged the Eagles and Falcons games, a pair of matches lost by a combined five points. Now fold in the last two games—a 26-13 loss to the Chiefs and a 51-27 thwacking at the hands of the Buccaneers—and the truth becomes much clearer.

The injuries haven’t foiled the Saints. They’ve just exposed them. Peeled back the veneer of a talented starting lineup to reveal a paper-thin team. One that lacks not only depth, but resiliency. Adaptability. A team that has done an inadequate job of replacing key departures to trade and free agency and—in some cases—retirement.

This situation, however unfortunate, is not unprecedented. To the contrary—we have all witnessed teams that have beat the odds and managed a late-season resurgence, overcoming injuries and setbacks and even strings of early losses to become that year's cinderella.

So why not this one? Who’s to say the 2024 New Orleans Saints can’t be America’s bounceback team?

While it’s certainly possible—and, if you look hard enough, you'll find reasons to be bullish—the odds are looking slimmer by the week. For starters, the Saints’ failed to bank a pair of early wins against conference and divisional foes. Critical wins that would have provided a much-needed cushion to weather these two most recent, more decisive losses. The Eagles and Falcons games were winnable. More than winnable—they were there for the taking, and the Saints failed to do what good teams do.

But far more disconcerting than any single loss or scoreline is the pattern on display. Poor decisions in critical situations. A demonstrated inability to read and respond to the ebb and flow of the game. A progressively undisciplined defense, operating under a befuddling philosophy, and an offense that is not only cratered by health but by an identity not compatible with its current strengths (which, to be fair, are few). Combined with a lack of urgency on both sides of the ball that is not only infuriating, but paralyzing, these become symptoms of a larger disease—the diagnosis of which, to any coach, could not be more clear.

Poor coaching. Poor execution. A roster plagued by injury. This is what the team is facing. Yes, the season is still young and each of these issues is manageable—but not without answers. And in the spirit of being honest, I must say—given the pattern I’ve seen unfolding—that I do not have confidence in this current group to find the answers in time. To patch the holes in this leaky ship before it takes on too much water.

But I’ll remain hopeful, nevertheless. Football is a crazy game, and perhaps with one or two shrewd roster moves, some better luck on the health front, and a few lessons learned from the head coach on down—the Saints can find the answers they need.

(Hey, Mickey Loomis... you hear that?)

As long as there’s still a bit of hope. A win vs Broncos would at least show a pulse.

To paraphrase the words of a certain Judge Chamberlain, "Mr. Levy, that is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent [observation]."

My single objection is the Davante Adams reference. On such a paper thin team, with all of the other challenges you've rightly referenced, how can we afford to give up anything more than a 5th rounder (plus the salary cap hit for a new contract for a 31 year old guy), much less a number 2 plus "assets"?

What is the max you would give?

I had this exact thought while watching the game yesterday, mostly because it’s something you’ve discussed often. The players are looking to their coaches for answers with each failed drive and surrendered point, but in this game the problems were plenty and the solutions few. We’ve gone from a “bully defense” as described by Brady to one that gave up over 1000 yards in the last two weeks. We may get a bounce back against Nix, but Payton will find and attack the holes in this defense with everything he’s got. The Broncos also have a defense that is likely to give Rattler more problems than he had against the Bucs.

What chances do you think we have on Thursday? I want to believe being the home team gives us an edge, but we gave up just under 600 yards in our house this week.

At the game, and I noted some penalties and near-penalties that point to lack of discipline, which I would pin on coaches. The big gainer to JJ called back for motion was killer- negated a chunk play first down in a still close game, and the Saints were never a threat afterwards. Don't get me started on the tackling. Engage and wrap up.

At the game, and I noted some penalties and near-penalties that point to lack of discipline, which I would pin on coaches. The big gainer to JJ called back for motion was killer- negated a chunk play first down in a still close game, and the Saints were never a threat afterwards. Don't get me started on the tackling. Engage and wrap up.
That's two weeks in a row we've had that same "still moving while the ball was snapped" motion penalty.

Do you blame the poor tackling on the players, or coaching?
The 2nd H has to be some of the most 'just burn and bury the ashes' type of film...
Payton may not have the weapons of TB right now, but Nix can really play and I have to imagine he can smell some blood in the water when it comes to our defense...it could get Ugly on TNF. Then what?

To paraphrase the words of a certain Judge Chamberlain, "Mr. Levy, that is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent [observation]."

My single objection is the Davante Adams reference. On such a paper thin team, with all of the other challenges you've rightly referenced, how can we afford to give up anything more than a 5th rounder (plus the salary cap hit for a new contract for a 31 year old guy), much less a number 2 plus "assets"?

What is the max you would give?
Honestly--it depends on what the Saints' priority is now. The trade deadline is looming and the offense needs some juice.

I'm not necessarily advocating for it, but Adams would undoubtedly improve the offense's resiliency and adaptability. But it really depends on where the front office and the coaches' goals are at this point--and how deep they think the issues run.

That's two weeks in a row we've had that same "still moving while the ball was snapped" motion penalty.
I don't understand why our WRs like to stand and bounce while waiting for the snap. Seems very undisciplined and lazy.

Honestly--it depends on what the Saints' priority is now. The trade deadline is looming and the offense needs some juice.

I'm not necessarily advocating for it, but Adams would undoubtedly improve the offense's resiliency and adaptability. But it really depends on where the front office and the coaches' goals are at this point--and how deep they think the issues run.
Not worth using future assets for a 32 year old WR when this team is clearly in need of a rebuild IMO. Time to stop putting off the inevitable.

I had this exact thought while watching the game yesterday, mostly because it’s something you’ve discussed often. The players are looking to their coaches for answers with each failed drive and surrendered point, but in this game the problems were plenty and the solutions few. We’ve gone from a “bully defense” as described by Brady to one that gave up over 1000 yards in the last two weeks. We may get a bounce back against Nix, but Payton will find and attack the holes in this defense with everything he’s got. The Broncos also have a defense that is likely to give Rattler more problems than he had against the Bucs.

What chances do you think we have on Thursday? I want to believe being the home team gives us an edge, but we gave up just under 600 yards in our house this week.
I think a lot of it depends on if Olave can play (I doubt it) and if Taysom and Pete Werner can play--not to mention any of the injured OL. The Saints are just so damn thin. It's understandable at OL with the sheer number of starters down, but the reliance on Taysom Hill on offense has been a surprise even for me (and I am an unapologetic Taysom Hill fan).

The defensive issues are a perfect storm of terrible execution and a really, really weird philosophical change at the coaching level. I can can no longer defend the DL (not getting pressure is one thing, but they are getting absolutely bullied in the run game). Demario Davis looks like a shell of his former self. Adebo's lapses aside, the DB group is still a strength--which, again, is what makes the defensive philosophy so damn confusing. I understand playing passive (aka bend but don't break) and looking for turnover opportunities if your offense is lighting it up, but they're not! So what are we even doing right now besides trying to die a slow death until the walls finally crumble.

Offensively: Rattler looked great in the first half and like a rookie in the second half. He's gonna struggle for a while against NFL pressure looks and to place those throws against man coverage. It's gonna take time.

All that to say--given the state of play, the poor execution, the lack of answers from the coaches, and what I'm safely assuming is a subsequent bottoming out of morale within the team--I would be shocked if they were able to get it together and win against the Broncos, on a short week, coming off a straight arse-whooping.

Thanks Dan... Agreed (like nearly always) - This all started before Sean left and just before Drew retired - and has Snowballed since Allen has taken over...

Bad contracts, Need-centric drafts, Aging players, Lazy hires, etc etc etc... have all lead this team to exactly where you said it currently is... All in the name of "staying competitive and continuity" - which was an illusion of wishful thinking after Sean bailed...

This teams' FO's inability to embrace the reality of the need for a complete and clean rebuild over the last 3 seasons - has doomed it for the next 3 going forward - all to watch the Bucs win 3 division titles (going on 4) in a mediocre division ahead of us...

How much longer can the obvious death march of time stare this team in the face before the Saints brass is forced to make the decisions that save this team long term?

I've said for 3 seasons... we are a season behind where that rebuild should start (could have been a soft rebuild - but now it's going to be a hard rebuild for sure) ... and now we are 3 seasons past that, with no end in sight... and no idea how close they will kick this can to the edge of the cliff.

Make it make sense...

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom