Weird Al Yankovic biopic (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Daniel Radcliffe (The Lost City, Harry Potter franchise) has been tapped to play musician “Weird Al” Yankovic in Weird: The Al Yankovic Story, a Roku Original biopic from Funny or Die and Tango that will be available for streaming exclusively on The Roku Channel.

Yankovic and Eric Appel penned the feature, with the latter Funny or Die alum set to direct, after helming a short film of the same name for the production company back in 2010. Production will kick off in Los Angeles early next month.

Known for pastiching and parodying the works of his musical contemporaries, Yankovic is the biggest-selling comedy recording artist of all time. A five-time Grammy winner, his 2014 release Mandatory Fun was the first comedy album in history to debut at No. 1 on Billboard’s Top 200……

At first glance this seems to be left field casting

I’m not seeing it at all, but I look forward to seeing the first pictures and trailers

Weird Al is massively talented and his talent is massively underrated so I swear I don’t mean this as dismissive as it sounds

But did Weird Al ever put out any “real” songs/albums?

Meaning songs that weren’t parodies or comedic?

Weird Al is massively talented and his talent is massively underrated so I swear I don’t mean this as dismissive as it sounds

But did Weird Al ever put out any “real” songs/albums?

Meaning songs that weren’t parodies or comedic?

He does what he calls "style parodies" where he will parody the general song writing style of an artist without it being a direct parody of a specific song.

And as mentioned, he's a legitimately talented polka artist. If you're into that kind of thing.

He does what he calls "style parodies" where he will parody the general song writing style of an artist without it being a direct parody of a specific song.

For example, his Bob Marley style parody off of his first album, "Buy Me a Condo" seems to address immigrants trading their home culture for yuppy materialism of the early 80s.

For some reason I loved this song when I was 11 and listening to "In 3-D" on my Walkman.

Last edited:
I am going to see him in Oct in Laffayette. I wish i could afford the VIP M&G passes, but $350 is a little much for me, i'll have to go with the moderate priced $55-$75 ticket range.
My son is 12, and he loves him as much as me.

I would watch this. I guess I have to get busy figuring out what Roku channel is. I thought the device was in the Museum of Civilization, had no idea there was a channel.

I thought Russel Brand would have been the obvious choice. Any idea when this will air?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom