N/S Wild NFL Rushing Yardage Stat (4 Viewers)

There is a combination of factors at play. Off the top of my head - Defenses have adapted, many Hall of Fame level QBs were lost in a short timespan as well as many "Hall of Very Good" types, college football favoring more of the zone-read type offenses and stunting what was considered pro skill development, I also think we are seeing evidence that teams with great QBs are losing weapons quicker, partly because QB salaries have exploded so much, and lastly, there are several outright BAD QBs bringing the averages down.

The era where we were watching prolific guys like P. Manning, Brees, Brady, prime-Rodgers, Rivers, Big Ben, Eli, prime-Matt Ryan, etc. go toe-to-toe every week putting on pocket passing clinics are long gone. There was a time where it seemed like half of the weekly schedule each week featured some big time QB matchup, whether it was two HOFs battling or a couple of (legitimate) Pro Bowlers battling each other or the HOFers, and this just isn't the case anymore.

Also the days of the QB bouncing around in the pocket 5 seconds or more waiting for the deeper routes to develop is a rarity.

Now it's quite common for the QB to get the ball out in less than 3 seconds, getting the ball to receivers in shorter patterns

Then consider the athletic front 7 with their speed and quickness in today's game.

Add to that the many blitz packages involving DBs that don't allow plays to develop downfield.

Then there's the changing of the guard through age attrition of the great ones that haven't been equally replaced.

The day of the in the box strong safety is gone, and weak side linebackers are the size of those guys, with most other linebackers barely larger.

Good era to run in.

Yeah, like the others have said, defenses have adapted to a pass happy league. Very rarely do you see defenses run traditional base packages 3-4 & 4-3. Most NFL defenses run a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 as their bases due to the speed and shotgun/pistol formations that Offenses run out of exclusively.

Not saying the NFL will ever go back to a heavy run dominate league like 1980’s and before, but OC’s would be smart to take advantage of smaller defenders and bully them forcing them to stop the run then go over the top like in the old days!

I absolutely love what we’re doing on that OLine. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more fun to OLinemen than bashing h*ll out of Defensive Linemen. OLinemen have to take haymakers all day from the Defense. Making the hunters the hunted is what I’m here for. To see the defense whencing and jumping out of the way is some extra special sauce. Kudos to Kubiak for unlocking this potential. I want to run for 200 yds every game. PS. We finished so early we got to see the end of 2 other games😂

Yeah, like the others have said, defenses have adapted to a pass happy league. Very rarely do you see defenses run traditional base packages 3-4 & 4-3. Most NFL defenses run a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 as their bases due to the speed and shotgun/pistol formations that Offenses run out of exclusively.

Not saying the NFL will ever go back to a heavy run dominate league like 1980’s and before, but OC’s would be smart to take advantage of smaller defenders and bully them forcing them to stop the run then go over the top like in the old days!

What's really funny is, you want to know the DC who popularized the 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 formations moving the traditional Strong Safety down to the line and deploying 4 athletic Defensive Backs in the secondary?

He's the current Saints Head Coach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom