The man or bear hypothetical (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
If you haven't seen this one lately, then congrats, you have a fulfilling life and don't waste any time on the internet. Because it's everywhere. Someone posted it in the "bear attack" thread, but it didn't get much traction there, so here we go.

The hypothetical was posed "Would you rather be alone in the woods with a bear or alone in the woods with a man (who is a random stranger)."

One point of note here is that women choose bear in overwhelming large numbers.

A second point of note is any man who says why it would be foolish to choose bear is widely labeled a predatory incel. "You're the reason we all choose bear" and so forth.

I don't think either choice is necessarily more foolish than the other. Clearly women deal with a lot more danger from a man that most men would, both in terms of physical harm and emotional trauma. And who am I to say that someone is foolish for preferring a medium likelihood of being violently mauled to a medium likelihood of being harassed or made to feel uncomfortable (plus a better than zero chance of being killed).

But what I find more fascinating than the hypothetical itself is just how well it incapsulates the internet as a whole. Women in large numbers taking an absurd position just to show us men that they see us as the real threat. Then men in large numbers getting all butthurt because how dare you think I'm more dangerous than a bear! Then all the incel name calling because how dare you point out the logical flaws to my largely symbolic response.

Anyway, all that being said, man is the correct answer and anything else isn't taking certain factors into consideration.

Which one is less likely to kill me when I kick them in the 'nads?

It also depends on the time of year. The first few weeks before and after hibernation bears will perceive
you as food.
There’s a lot of factors that can swing it one way ot the other. Type of bear, male or female, proximity of “encounter”. I guess you just have to factor all conditions in to get a composite threat level.

There’s a lot of factors that can swing it one way ot the other. Type of bear, male or female, proximity of “encounter”. I guess you just have to factor all conditions in to get a composite threat level.
Agreed, I do not want to be in the same area code with a momma bear and her cubs.

If you haven't seen this one lately, then congrats, you have a fulfilling life and don't waste any time on the internet. Because it's everywhere. Someone posted it in the "bear attack" thread, but it didn't get much traction there, so here we go.

The hypothetical was posed "Would you rather be alone in the woods with a bear or alone in the woods with a man (who is a random stranger)."

One point of note here is that women choose bear in overwhelming large numbers.

A second point of note is any man who says why it would be foolish to choose bear is widely labeled a predatory incel. "You're the reason we all choose bear" and so forth.

I don't think either choice is necessarily more foolish than the other. Clearly women deal with a lot more danger from a man that most men would, both in terms of physical harm and emotional trauma. And who am I to say that someone is foolish for preferring a medium likelihood of being violently mauled to a medium likelihood of being harassed or made to feel uncomfortable (plus a better than zero chance of being killed).

But what I find more fascinating than the hypothetical itself is just how well it incapsulates the internet as a whole. Women in large numbers taking an absurd position just to show us men that they see us as the real threat. Then men in large numbers getting all butthurt because how dare you think I'm more dangerous than a bear! Then all the incel name calling because how dare you point out the logical flaws to my largely symbolic response.

Anyway, all that being said, man is the correct answer and anything else isn't taking certain factors into consideration.
I thought all the incels turned into trans lesbians.

I think I posted that in the bear thread. I'm not certain how to feel about it tho. Women aren't wrong to be wary of men. Heck men aren't wrong to be wary of men. I don't think many who answered bear would hold that position if it actually happened.

The real take away for me is that it's vogue to tear down 'men' without even considering them as individuals since we need them to be disposable.

The conditioning starts early with rhymes about sugar and spice. When a boy is hurt... Rub some dirt on it. Have feelings? You better bottle that sheet up and learn not to show it because women want an alpha male.

Much is made about pressure on girls as they mature. But the same or more pressure in on boys. The difference is nobody forking cares about boys until they need to be locked away or executed because they broke too badly. It's a forked and demoralizing realization.

From my pov as a boy growing up in the 70's, society has gotten the insecure emotionally dysregulated men it made by design or ignorance.

I do like the question tho, because it tells me whether or not to waste my time talking to her. Have fun dating that bear. Hope it brings you some fish.

I've never been more authentically me and no longer even try. If she likes me, she's going to figure out a way to make it clear. I've got too much other sheet to balance in my life without adding hidden signals and hints into my equation. If she can't understand that, she ain't for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom