“FOO-AN-GA?” (1 Viewer)

Mr. Littlejeans

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Alright, it’s happening frequently enough that I have to ask: Why are some analysts pronouncing Fuaga’s name with a non-existent “N” in the middle? So far PFF’s Steve Palozzolo, AFR’s Matt Moscona, and Locked On’s Ross Jackson have been saying it that way.
!!!!!!Whoa….As I’m typing this Zack Ewing on Saints Insider just dropped a fooanguh on the podcast . Feels especially weird because analysts on the same podcast are pronouncing the #1 picks name differently from each other. (Buddy Diliberto and Bobby Hebert notwithstanding………)

If Fuaga is of Samoan ancestry, “foo-ahng-ah” would be right:

The letter g represents a velar nasal, as in the English word sing, rather than a voiced velar stop, as in the English go. Thus, the correct pronunciation of Pago Pago is [ˈpaŋo ˈpaŋo].

Hmmm. Oregon State football website says

PRONOUNCED Tall-ee-s-a Foo-ah-gah”

But I know from personal experience that when people pronounce your name wrong over and over, sometimes it’s just easier to let it go uncorrected.

Fast forward to about 2:32. On Draft Day, Fuaga was interviewed on WWL Radio, and Mike Hoss asked Fuaga directly how to pronounce both his first and last names.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom