#178 overall - Run-Off (2 Viewers)

With the #178 overall selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select . . .

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dang, this is tough. I voted for Ikegwuonu the first time, but I like Hester a lot. And I am not an LSU homer by any stretch of the imagination. Hester won't be available in the next round, and I'm surprised he's available here. If it weren't for PT, I wouldn't hesitate, but I think we have a good fallback with him. And RB is easier to fill with free agency. So, just talked myself into staying with Ikegwuonu. Gotta get a base of youth in that critical area of the defense.

I have read at least one story saying that Ikegwuonu won't be ready to play at full ability for two years!

This story suggests he'll be ready by training camp WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL
but we heard the same about Michael Bush last year and it's hard not to take the pessimistic view given the seriousness of his injury.

Neither would make the final roster. So I guess this is the battle for the PS.

Jack Ike has big-time potential to be a shut-down corner...great value here even if he is injured (Put him on the PUP)...pretty easy choice.

Stecker just resigned. So he's not gone, unless you are implying he will be cut. :shrug:

Stecker only signed a 1 year deal I believe. I don't think Stecker will but cut, Payton seems to like him, but it is doable. In theory.

Hester showed me a lot last season. I don't know how well he'll transition, but when LSU needed 4 yards for a first, he shut up, lowered his head and got 4.1. Just seemed to have it together.

Did you see the Kentucky game?

Why would we want a guy who is too slow for a RB in the pros, and we have an excellent FB?

Stecker only signed a 1 year deal I believe. I don't think Stecker will but cut, Payton seems to like him, but it is doable. In theory.

Yeah it was just 1 year for $1.4M. Certainly a deal they could easily swallow if they decided since I doubt too much of it is guaranteed.

That said, I think your second statement is certainly the reason he won't be cut. Payton definitely appears to like him, and I think if he didn't he would have let him walk (that and the uncertainly of Deuce's health). But if Deuce is back and proves he is healthy for one more year, then anything could happen with the rest of the backs.

Did you see the Kentucky game?

Why would we want a guy who is too slow for a RB in the pros, and we have an excellent FB?

It's like the 180th pick of the draft. The Next Walter Payton has probably been picked. Anyone who gets picked now will have a few bad games in their resume.

Personally, I wish BenJarvus Green-Ellis had made the cut, because I would prefer him to Hester.

But I had to go Hester here. I don't think Ikegwuonu will be drafted with that injury. Maybe a 7th round flyer, but I think he might be a UDFA, put on someone's IR, and get a chance next year.

I do like Hester, I really do. I think he'd be a great pickup. Special teams, fill in here and there, 3rd down back...a lot of potential.

I voted for Jack I - hearing James Hardy / WR from Indiana state that Jack was by far the toughest corner he'd played against swayed my vote.

I voted for J.I. simply because if he wasn't hurt, he could've been a late first round pick. I'd rather have the guy with great potential at this point in the draft than a guy who will play some special teams and carry the ball 10-15 times a season.

J.I. is no Chase Lyman...he was hurt once after college. Lyman never really saw the field.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom