2 moves we still need to make (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
Justin Simmons
Donovan Smith/Bachtiari

Our defense is great, but the addition of Simmons would make it elite. Especially if Taylor can be better in the slot. Will Harris gives us a viable option to replace him if he bombs again.

Smith or Bachtiari gives us a true option to replace Penning if he bombs again. I just don’t feel comfortable with our current depth at tackle.

A team should never stop trying to get better and these 2 moves would do that for us.

i think we need another linebacker as well.
We have too many LBs. DD, Pete, and Gay are top 3. Hudson has the experience to be a viable 4th LB. Jackson, Ford and Monty Rice are competing for the other depth spot. Another LB signing would probably be a camp body.

Justin Simmons
Donovan Smith/Bachtiari

Our defense is great, but the addition of Simmons would make it elite. Especially if Taylor can be better in the slot. Will Harris gives us a viable option to replace him if he bombs again.

Smith or Bachtiari gives us a true option to replace Penning if he bombs again. I just don’t feel comfortable with our current depth at tackle.

A team should never stop trying to get better and these 2 moves would do that for us.
I dont think we're on Justin Simmons' radar : He wrote: “Honestly, I am looking for a team that is going to give me the best opportunity to play at the level I have been playing at, and on top of that, I am looking for a team that is a contender and is ready to win,” Simmons told The Denver Post. “I feel like I bring a lot to the table leadership-wise but also in my play. I think I can help whichever team it is reach their dreams and goals of winning a Super Bowl.”

I dont think we're on Justin Simmons' radar : He wrote: “Honestly, I am looking for a team that is going to give me the best opportunity to play at the level I have been playing at, and on top of that, I am looking for a team that is a contender and is ready to win,” Simmons told The Denver Post. “I feel like I bring a lot to the table leadership-wise but also in my play. I think I can help whichever team it is reach their dreams and goals of winning a Super Bowl.”
It’s not always about what the player wants. First you have to have a contending team express interest, and usually said team or teams don’t actually have a need for you.

As much as I like Simmons, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. Howden played very well and is very cheap on his rookie contract. I do not think we "need" Simmons and I don't think that he is a good value-signing. He is an upgrade over Howden for sure, but not enough to justify his Salary.

I'd be hip to sign any starting caliber tackle though. I am afraid however that Kansas City will be signing one of the two of them. I have heard a buzz that Bakhtiari wants to reunite with Rodgers in New York. Kansas City may also still re-sign Smith.

I think it's unlikely than any of the 3 guys you mention will be Saints when the season starts.

I think Simmons is an unlikely signing simply because he appears to be looking for $$$ and to play for whatever teams that he considers SB contenders.

However, I am just not content with the OL at this point, so like others here, I agree on that point.

So, as long as we ignore their price, age, injury history and potential unwillingness to join the team, it's a slam dunk move to sign them!
Not to be negative, but the point that you made did cross my mind considering some of the OL that the Saints signed this offseason.

For example:

Shane Lemieux:
On Monday Night Football on November 2, 2020 he started his first game at left guard for Will Hernandez who tested positive for COVID-19. Lemieux retained the starting position for the remainder of the season, replacing Hernandez at left guard, playing in 12 games with 9 starts as a rookie allowing 25 pressures and five sacks.[11]

On September 16, 2021, Lemieux was placed on injured reserve after aggravating a knee injury in Week 1. On September 22, Lemieux underwent season-ending surgery to repair his left knee's patella tendon. Lemieux was the 2nd Giants offensive lineman to be announced out for the season, following Nick Gates' injury in Week 2's Thursday Night Football.

On August 11, 2022, Lemieux injured his toe in week 1 of the preseason against the New England Patriots. He was placed on injured reserve on August 31, 2022. On November 19, he was activated from injured reserve. On December 28, Lemieux was placed on season–ending injured reserve after aggravating his toe injury in Week 11 against the Detroit Lions. He finished the season playing in 39 offensive snaps, Lemieux’s struggles continued, allowing five pressures and a sack.

On October 19, 2023, the Giants placed Lemieux on injured reserve after tearing his biceps in practice. He finished the season playing in 27 snaps and allowed just one pressure.

Lucas Patrick: Patrick spent the past two seasons with the Chicago Bears and started 15 games at center because of injuries. He allowed 25 hurries, 2 quarterback hits, and no sacks in 953 snaps.
He started five games for the Bears as a reserve guard in 2022, playing both left and right guard before a toe injury cost him the final 10 games of the season.

1/6/2024: The Bears have placed center Lucas Patrick on injured reserve, sidelining him for Sunday’s game. Patrick appeared in 16 games this season, which included 15 starts, where he played primarily at center. He landed on the injury report Friday with a calf injury, and he was dubbed questionable against the Packers.

Olisaemeka Udoh: Vikings offensive tackle Oli Udoh will miss the remainder of the 2023 season with a torn quad tendon, head coach Kevin O'Connell confirmed after Thursday's game against the Eagles.

Justin Herron:
Herron was selected by the New England Patriots in the sixth round, with the 195th overall pick of the 2020 NFL draft.[4] He was placed on injured reserve on October 31, 2020 with an ankle injury. He was activated on November 28.

On September 21, 2022, the Patriots traded Herron and a 2024 seventh-round draft pick to the Las Vegas Raiders in exchange for a 2024 sixth-round pick.[9] He suffered a torn ACL in practice and was placed on injured reserve on October 7.

It seems the Saints shopped the bargain basement for serviceable yet often or recently injured players, some with upside IF they can stay healthy. I guess that is necessary considering the team is trying to right the ship regarding the cap, yet it is so risky when trying to remain competitive.

I think that Lemieux, Patrick and especially Udoh can be nice additions and potential starters. The question is how long they can stay on the field. Hopefully, Penning and Saldiveri work out well, and we don't have to find out. Then again, we have a couple of rookies that I find intriguing: Josiah Ezirim, and this Kyle Hergel kid. Both will likely take time to develop, and I am interested in seeing them at TC. We could use a diamond in the rough.

Justin Simmons
Donovan Smith/Bachtiari

I like this. Also, invite Latavius Murray to camp while we’re at it.

Those really are some injury histories. It seems to have been the team's M.O. for a while to hope they get quality snaps out of players who tend to have been hurt before.

Those really are some injury histories. It seems to have been the team's M.O. for a while to hope they get quality snaps out of players who tend to have been hurt before.

We have definitely bit from that tree too often but I do like the concept in small portions. It’s a good way to find great value. Say you sign a guy like Bakhtiari to a prove it deal and you just so happen to get him in the one year he never gets hurt. Suddenly you have an all-pro caliber LT at a bargain base price for a year.

Not going to see a much more potential value than that in a July free agent signing.

I think Simmons is going to hold to the figure he thinks he's worth...until desperation sets in. But he/his agent know that some important safety is going to gone down in camp with a bad injury and then his price will likely be met. As for the O-linemen, I am fine bringing in one of them now--if possible. We'll need the depth and some more veteran (formerly elite level guys) competition can not hurt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom