2024 Mock 1st Round and a complete Saints Draft (1 Viewer)

Still blows my mind that fans on this very forum were blaming Penning against the Packers when they were rolling an extra tackle to Ramczyk's side and he was still getting schooled.
Shoot, if we are being honest, even when Penning was starting, you saw more pressure coming from the right side.

Huge Ladd fan but if he does pick 17 i'll be shocked.

Also Penning cannot just move inside to guard he's way too big. Moving him to RT is also not a surefire thing.
1986 - we drafted Jim Dombrowski in the 1st rd. to play LT. He sucked at LT and was beaten out by Kevin Haverdink in 1989 for the starting LT spot. He moved inside to LG and was really good at LG. In 2015, we drafted Andrus Peat in the 1st to be our LT of the future. He ended up being at a sort of solid LG for the past 9 seasons.

"Too big?" What does that even mean? Peat is 6'7 330lbs. Ramczyk was a LT in college who shifted to RT as a rookie in the NFL. I could go on with a long, long list of LTs that moved to RT and vice versa. I still have no clue what "too big" means.

Last edited:
I would like Johnson to fall into the 7th, unfortunately I think we will need to spend a 5th to get him.
This is an ultra deep WR draft. Johnson was a consistent possession receiver for Michigan, but he was never awesome in college. He was good - just good. I think there's a strong chance he ends up being a 7th rd pick or an UDFA.

Thank you for doing this. I give anyone a lot of credit for putting in the time to put this together. Even if I disagree with much of it, :)

ETA: You are one of the only people that is as high on Cole Bishop as I am. I would love him at 45. Cheers!
I love Cole Bishop. I think he could go higher than 32. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Still blows my mind that fans on this very forum were blaming Penning against the Packers when they were rolling an extra tackle to Ramczyk's side and he was still getting schooled.
Ram had probably his worst year last year, after a noticeable dropoff over the past few years. But Penning was an absolute embarassment at LT last year. I mean borderline useless at the position. There's no other way to put it. Benching him was and still in in retrospect the right call. I will still swear up and down he still has the talent/ability to be a good lineman, but he has basically everything to prove at this point.
1986 - we drafted Jim Dombrowski in the 1st rd. to play LT. He sucked at LT and was beaten out by Kevin Haverdink in 1989 for the starting LT spot. He moved inside to LG and was really good at LG. In 2015, we drafted Andrus Peat in the 1st to be our LT of the future. He ended up being at a sort of solid LG for the past 9 seasons.

"Too big?" What does that even mean? Peat is 6'7 330lbs. Ramczyk was a LT in college who shifted to RT as a rookie in the NFL. I could go on with a long, long list of LTs that moved to RT and vice versa. I still have no clue what "too big" means.
I feel like there's a narrative that's pervaded the past like 10 years or so that "squatty, big and strong" = guard and "long, strong and quick" = tackle. Historically this hasn't been the case, especially for guards. Just cuz a guy is over 6'4" doesn't mean he can't play guard.

I think that Peat would have been just as good @ LT as he is at LG, maybe even better. This past season kinda showed that. But he never would have been as good as Armstead. When he struggled @ RT and we drafted Ram that sealed his fate. Now with a bit more time and work Peat may have been a good RT, but that ship sailed yrs ago. The game and players have changed since 86, OL are bigger faster and stronger and need to be more athletic.

I'm glad you have one example of an OT successfully switching sides. There's plenty to name that struggled to do so.

Lane Johnson famously said it's like wiping your a** with your opposite hand.

And yes 6'7 is way generally too big for a guard in the NFL. One of Pennings issues is he already plays way too upright. Guard moreso than OT is all about leverage and the bigger you are the highest your center of gravity is.

All of the best guards are nowhere close to 6'7.

Zack Martin 6'4
Quenton Nelson 6'5
Chris Lindstorm 6'4
Joe Thuney 6'5
Joel Bitonio 6'4

I'll posi-prop any mock where we can get Fashanu and Sweat with our first two picks. I think we'd find more value at WR than TE if we have to trade up in the third but I haven't checked out TE's in this draft, just heard it's not a great class. Two RB's in the first while no DB until 22 is also wild but stranger things have happened I guess.

I hate it… so it’ll probably be 100% accurate.

Saints take the white-guy version of Jamaal Williams to compete against.. Jamaal Williams? It makes so little sense that it must be true!!!
After averaging 2.9 a carry Jamaal Williams is lucky he's competing against anyone. He's also nothing like Shipley so not sure where this is coming from.

I'm glad you have one example of an OT successfully switching sides. There's plenty to name that struggled to do so.

Lane Johnson famously said it's like wiping your a** with your opposite hand.

And yes 6'7 is way generally too big for a guard in the NFL. One of Pennings issues is he already plays way too upright. Guard moreso than OT is all about leverage and the bigger you are the highest your center of gravity is.

All of the best guards are nowhere close to 6'7.

Zack Martin 6'4
Quenton Nelson 6'5
Chris Lindstorm 6'4
Joe Thuney 6'5
Joel Bitonio 6'4
That's primarily due to most guys that are that tall end up being put at tackle. Leverage. Doesn't mean that those guys just automatically are not capable of being guards. Hell, Peat found pretty good success at LG for a good stretch. We drafted him to be our LT and he was just never the bookend guy he was supposed to be. He was still a pretty productive guy when he was healthy.

I hate it… so it’ll probably be 100% accurate.

Saints take the white-guy version of Jamaal Williams to compete against.. Jamaal Williams? It makes so little sense that it must be true!!!
In what universe is Will Shipley anything like Jamaal Williams? Shipley runs a 4.39 for goodness sakes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom