23/24 EPL season (1 Viewer)

On the heels of Chelsea/Poch
Front offices continue to fire managers to mask bad acquisitions and injuries
(Looking at you too Barca)

writing on the wall months ago.

Sad, i liked ETH demeanor and style. Unfortunately, it didnt jive with current roster and moves he made, ( see Sancho relishing his opportunity in Germany ) but he inherited that roster and wasnt able to find common ground between players and philosophy.

And the back line injuries didnt help one bit.

So now its back to square 1 in finding someone that can finally evade the "Ghost of SAF" and return Manchester United to a preeminent EPL team.

And for the love of all that is good, give the next guy 3 years please?!?!?

Sad, i liked ETH demeanor and style. Unfortunately, it didnt jive with current roster and moves he made, ( see Sancho relishing his opportunity in Germany ) but he inherited that roster and wasnt able to find common ground between players and philosophy.

So now its back to square 1 in finding someone that can finally evade the "Ghost of SAF" and return Manchester United to a preeminent EPL team.

No doubt Man U has some issues with not knowing the style of team they want to be and not buying players to fit a style. They seem to just buy what is hot. Chelsea and Man U seem to have similar issues at this time with both spending lots of money on random players and refusing to allow their Manager the time to build the team he wants. At some point you just have to find the right guy and give him 3 or so years to build a team.

I'm not sure that ETH fit at Man U or in the EPL for that matter, but no manager is going to succeed unless you give him a few years to get the players he needs to run the system he wants. Problem is that I'm not sure that Chelsea or Man U can commit to a several year rebuild given their fan bases. Arsenal managed to pull it off, but likely only because Arteta and Edu were former Arsenal players and Arteta managed to win an FA Cup in his first year. That and they basically hit rock bottom for a team their size before the rebuild.

I do find it amusing that Chelsea is apparently thinking of trading Poch for Mourinho. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. I mean they just seem so similar except Mourinho is so much more demanding of the club and harder to work with.

No doubt Man U has some issues with not knowing the style of team they want to be and not buying players to fit a style. They seem to just buy what is hot. Chelsea and Man U seem to have similar issues at this time with both spending lots of money on random players and refusing to allow their Manager the time to build the team he wants. At some point you just have to find the right guy and give him 3 or so years to build a team.

I'm not sure that ETH fit at Man U or in the EPL for that matter, but no manager is going to succeed unless you give him a few years to get the players he needs to run the system he wants. Problem is that I'm not sure that Chelsea or Man U can commit to a several year rebuild given their fan bases. Arsenal managed to pull it off, but likely only because Arteta and Edu were former Arsenal players and Arteta managed to win an FA Cup in his first year. That and they basically hit rock bottom for a team their size before the rebuild.

I do find it amusing that Chelsea is apparently thinking of trading Poch for Mourinho. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. I mean they just seem so similar except Mourinho is so much more demanding of the club and harder to work with.

ETH had a style when he arrived...he wants his wingers to play both defense and offense. Its why you saw Sancho fall out of favor so fast and to some extent, Rashford as well.

Problem for ETH was those two were MUFC darlings, right? You can pull that off with Antony ( who he brought over from Dutch giant AJAX ) because he's a transplant- cant do that with English boys. I also think that the back line injures that started as the season kicked off were just too much. We had to get Jonny Evans to play CB mid-season! Ended with Casemiro at CB! Thats like putting Charles Barkley at point guard. ( and full disclosure, i thought Casemiro was over-rated at RM- he was surrounded by talent, so he didnt have to play all that well )

im worried that the "direction" of style/philosophy is being interfered with from management....if thats the case, MUFC have a larger problem because short of getting Pep or Ancelotti, its going to be repeating itself.

I tempered my expectations 2 years ago and will continue to do so entering each new season until i see that unity/cohesive style of play that is necessary to carry thru 40 games in an EPL season ( or more if u make CL/Europa League play )

As any fan would say " there is always next year " lolol

I’m still shocked by the Pochetino thing. Chelsea were clearly trending upwards the second half of the season. You can’t expect to make progress without stability. Bottom line.

Listening to Caught Offside, they read out some reports that the upper management were using data like “missed big chances” as negatives against him. How is a player missing an open shot a coach’s fault? They supposed that there has to be something going on wage wise given the replacements they’re supposedly looking at. There were “strategic differences” between Poch and management.

ETH had a style when he arrived...he wants his wingers to play both defense and offense. Its why you saw Sancho fall out of favor so fast and to some extent, Rashford as well.

Problem for ETH was those two were MUFC darlings, right? You can pull that off with Antony ( who he brought over from Dutch giant AJAX ) because he's a transplant- cant do that with English boys. I also think that the back line injures that started as the season kicked off were just too much. We had to get Jonny Evans to play CB mid-season! Ended with Casemiro at CB! Thats like putting Charles Barkley at point guard. ( and full disclosure, i thought Casemiro was over-rated at RM- he was surrounded by talent, so he didnt have to play all that well )

im worried that the "direction" of style/philosophy is being interfered with from management....if thats the case, MUFC have a larger problem because short of getting Pep or Ancelotti, its going to be repeating itself.

I tempered my expectations 2 years ago and will continue to do so entering each new season until i see that unity/cohesive style of play that is necessary to carry thru 40 games in an EPL season ( or more if u make CL/Europa League play )

As any fan would say " there is always next year " lolol

Yeah, I don't disagree. I'm not sure that ETH has the tactical chops for the EPL, but there is no doubt that the team didn't have the players he needed to do what he wanted to do. And that's going to be the case no matter who the manager is unless you get the Goldilocks manager that happens to run a system that fits the players you have which is highly unlikely.

That being said, the better managers adapt their tactics to what they have until they get the players they need to play how they want. I hate to go to the Arteta well again, but he was playing 5 at the back defense first and counter attack his first year or so when he really wanted to play 4-3-3 with positional jogo. Then moved to a 4-2-3 and last year finally got the players he needed to play the 4-3-3 with positional jogo that he always wanted to play.

So, I didn't follow Man U incredibly closely, but my view from a distance is that ETH did a poor job of adapting his playing style to his players. But, Man U also needs to commit to a manager at some point and build the team he wants build over a 2 or 3 year period because that's the only real way to be successful unless you have Man City money and can buy any player or manager that you want. But, there is only one Pep.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I'm not sure that ETH has the tactical chops for the EPL, but there is no doubt that the team didn't have the players he needed to do what he wanted to do. And that's going to be the case no matter who the manager is unless you get the Goldilocks manager that happens to run a system that fits the players you have which is highly unlikely.

That being said, the better managers adapt their tactics to what they have until they get the players they need to play how they want. I hate to go to the Arteta well again, but he was playing 5 at the back defense first and counter attack his first year or so when he really wanted to play 4-3-3 with positional jogo. Then moved to a 4-2-3 and last year finally got the players he needed to play the 4-3-3 with positional jogo that he always wanted to play.

So, I didn't follow Man U incredibly closely, but my view from a distance is that ETH did a poor job of adapting his playing style to his players. But, Man U also needs to commit to a manager at some point and build the team he wants build over a 2 or 3 year period because that's the only real way to be successful unless you have Man City money and can buy any player or manager that you want. But, there is only one Pep.

thats what separated good from great.

I’m still shocked by the Pochetino thing. Chelsea were clearly trending upwards the second half of the season. You can’t expect to make progress without stability. Bottom line.

Listening to Caught Offside, they read out some reports that the upper management were using data like “missed big chances” as negatives against him. How is a player missing an open shot a coach’s fault? They supposed that there has to be something going on wage wise given the replacements they’re supposedly looking at. There were “strategic differences” between Poch and management.

thats really what scares me about MUFC- this whole "micro-manage" aspect.

How in the WORLD are you holding a Manager responsible for a player missing a "big chance" - shoot, what constitutes a "big chance"? Open net? not marked? what?

ugh. this is the ugly side of the game now.

Feels weird that ManU, Chelsea and Liverpool will all roll out new managers next year

I read the article on ESPN+ about Arne Slot’s hiring at Liverpool, and there’s a point made in the article that Liverpool’s internal/management structure closely matches what most Dutch/Eredivisie teams have (football director, manager, coach).

It made me think just now about ETH. Does United have a similar structure? Or was he being asked to do more than coach?

Seems like United would do well to start over from the ground up and let the youth players get more minutes. But they probably need an experienced coach for that. Pochetino?

I read the article on ESPN+ about Arne Slot’s hiring at Liverpool, and there’s a point made in the article that Liverpool’s internal/management structure closely matches what most Dutch/Eredivisie teams have (football director, manager, coach).

It made me think just now about ETH. Does United have a similar structure? Or was he being asked to do more than coach?

Seems like United would do well to start over from the ground up and let the youth players get more minutes. But they probably need an experienced coach for that. Pochetino?

They similar-

Without much fanfare, the Director of Football, John Murtaugh, stepped down in early April.

Tapped to take his spot is a guy named Wilcox- technical director ( previous stints - Southhampton Director and Academy Director at City ) . Also installed a new CEO, previously was director over at City. Still looking for a "sporting director"

lots of "directors" lol.

so the short list, which apparently changes daily over in the UK, last i read was Zidane, Tuchel ( who i thought was top of short list ), Southgate and Potter (Graham, not Harry, although we could probably use his magic )

Great win for ManU!

Tactics plus a little luck and some poor play.

Maybe City was in a lull from the push to win the league and then a week of celebration?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom