A Conversation I Had Today... (1 Viewer)

>>..with a client at my job. This gentleman tells me that a friend of his family ( a lady friend of his wife), came down from Washington, DC, to see how recovery is going in New Orleans with Katrina. She told my client that she was sent down by the Federal Governement to see how the recovery is going...seems there is a big question that they want answered. Apparently, over 9 months ago funding for recovery was financed and the Federal Government wants to know why there is an account for Katrina recovery allocated for New Orleans with a balance of $9 Billion and there has been no withdrawals and they want to know what is going on with recovery? Hah?!? This is true. Any thoughts?

Total bunk. Robinette debunked that on WWL a while ago. Apparently the rumor (as spread by many long term GOP Shills here on the EE) is that the state is sitting on a big old pile of money that's sitting in an account earning interest. Unfortunately SNOPES doesn't have the goods on this but Robinette cleared it up and said he investigated this and it's false. The money is in Washington DC as appropriated and will be expended (not sure of the right word) as the projects/requests come in.

FWIW, it's 11 weeks this past Monday that we've been waiting for the LRA to issue a letter. No dice thus far.

TPS

Well sure, the GOP shills are spin-doctoring this the best they can and I'm sure the DNC will spin it the other way when the get a chance. But, it doesn't change the fact that there is $9 Billion out there that is not being used. I don't really care who is holding it or why, but somewhere, someone has been incredibly incompetent in handling the entire LRA mess.

>>Its well documented in local papers that recovery money is not being used, and it is just sitting in accounts for the state to use.

Well documented? The charge is collecting interest to make the state look good. I completely agree otherwise (when the interest isn't brought up).

>>The road home program is not issueing any checks. denying or not processing claims...

Right. They've gotten very few out and very few award letters (something like 1/9th of those who have applied).

>>its a joke..

I completely agree. The VA company should be garbaged disposed.

>>Cry partisanship all you want, but drive through affected areas and tell me how much recovery is being done...

I lived and owned in an affected area. Only those with the initial means fixed up their properties. Everyone else is waiting on that money, ex-wife included. And I can't even be bought out until such time as she gets it and fixes her house thereby making it elligible for financing (she doesn't want to go the construction financing route). $70k is NOT in my pocket because of this mess. You might want to think I'm making it a partisan issue, I'm not. I'm just repeating what Robinette said. If he is wrong, then I'm wrong too. Show me the money.

>>Well sure, the GOP shills are spin-doctoring this the best they can and I'm sure the DNC will spin it the other way when the get a chance. But, it doesn't change the fact that there is $9 Billion out there that is not being used. I don't really care who is holding it or why, but somewhere, someone has been incredibly incompetent in handling the entire LRA mess.

Agreed. But let's don't forget that I'm one of many people on this very forum who lost it all. The money, no matter who is in control, hasn't made its way into an account on my behalf. That's for damn sure. I didn't vote for the governor and would not vote for her this time if she's brazen enough to run. I think she won't and will just wilt away stating that they tried to be transparent and made some bad choices in retrospect. Then she'll probably talk about the reasonably good job she did hatcheting the budget. IMHO, outside of pining for economic development, those are the only good things she's done.

TPS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom