A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives = Plagiarism? (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Our old pal, Micheal Moore has published a pledge and a petition (over 17,000 signatures so far), using his wry wit to issue a 12-point manifesto.

A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives
http://www.petitiononline.com/mmflint/petition.html

Unfortunately, MM's words seemed familiar to folks at Democratic Underground. Sure enough, there was a similar posting there five days before Moore issued his pledge and petition.

Now, the original poster and DU followers are crying foul and doing a paragraph-by-paragraph comparison.

The Witch
Tue Nov-14-06 05:29 PM
Original message
You guys are getting me all riled up about this Michael Moore business.

Just for a refresher:
(Mine is in the order I originally presented it; Moore's is taken from here and there in his piece.)

Moore: A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives
Me: Dear dismayed conservatives:

Moore: I, and my fellow signatories, hereby make these promises to you:
Me: I hereby make these promises to you.

Moore: Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you.
Me: We will protect your lives and livelihoods.

Moore: We will always respect you for your conservative beliefs.
Me: We will listen to and respect your beliefs.

Moore: We will respect your religious beliefs, even when you don't put those beliefs into practice. // We will let you marry whomever you want, even when some of us consider your behavior to be "different" or "immoral."
Me: We will never try to force you to change your religion, sexual orientation, or first language.

READ MOoRE
(Caution: Strong Language in the Comments)
http://www.democraticunderground.co...sg&forum=364&topic_id=2716486&mesg_id=2716486

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Funny. Could be GMTA or MM might need to credit Witch. I'd like to hear one of the teachers/lawyers here comment on it. I used to paraphrase a lot when doing essays and research papers, though of course, I'd credit the original source.

That said, Mr. Moore needs to check himself re: Handguns. It's a hell of a lot harder to kill a deer with a handgun than it is with a rifle. A hunter who bags a deer with a .357 is much, much sneakier and more in tune with his surroundings than a hunter who can only get within 200 yards and has to use a 30-06.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom