a lil trip down memory lane (1 Viewer)

joeyk1

I get all numb
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/261862-craig-heyward-a-man-called-ironhead
The man was a beast. My favorite line of the article:

During an ESPN interview with Pasquarelli, Bobby Herbert, the Saints' quarterback at the time, recalls a game in which Ironhead was used as a lead blocker against Seattle’s Brian Bosworth on six straight plays:
"After about the third time," Hebert said, "Bosworth was crying. Honest. Tears were rolling down his face, because he didn't want Ironhead to hit him anymore. He cried 'Uncle!' for real. Ironhead, he just laughed at him.

RIP

"Ironhead? You mean Craig? His name is Craig"
(paraphrased)

- Jim Mora, Sr.

Oh man! I saw the "RIP" above and didn't know! I looked it up and was stunned.

Such a loss so young... Man, I'm gonna be bummed for the rest of the week.

He wasn't the runner that they thought he'd be, but he was a terrific blocker (something they didn't expect). Had Heyward kept himself in better shape, he could have been a Pro Bowl level player. He tried Mora's patience at times ... in Lacrosse, Mora threw him out of practice one day for making mistakes. Great lead blocker for Hilliard, Mayes, Fenerty, and yes, he even blocked well for Dunbar. The Saints, in essence, traded him to Chicago for Brad Muster. Muster (and Tootie Robbins) earned fame as the bicycle rider, since he was injured and held out of practice all of the time. He reminded me a lot of a running back who played for the Buffalo Bills in the 1970's by the name of Jim Braxton. Braxton was the fullback in the same backfield as O.J. Simpson. Like Heyard, he was big and strong, but very agile.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom