A Review Of The Benson Ownership (1986 to Present) (1 Viewer)

Grade The Benson Ownership Group

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, how would you rate the Bensons as owners?

5 full time HCs
1. Jim Mora (86-96) 93-74 1991 NFCW champions
-1 subpar 7 win season (1996)
2. Mike Ditka (97-99) 15-33
All three seasons were subpar 7 win seasons
3. Jim Hasslett (00-05) 45-51 2000 NFCW champions
1 subpar 7 win season (2005)
4. Sean Payton (06-21) 152-89) 2006, 2009, 2011, 2017-2020 NFCS Champions, 2009 NFC Champions, 2009 Super Bowl XLIV champions
-No subpar 7 win seasons
-Most wins in franchise history.
5. Dennis Allen (22-present) 18-23
2024 probably a subpar 7 win season

Franchise QBs during the Benson Era
1. Bobby Hebert (85-92) 49-26
2. Aaron Brooks (00-05) 38-44
3. Drew Brees (06-21) 142-86

HOF players in the Benson Era
1. Rickey Jackson
2. Willie Roaf
3. Morton Andersen
4. Sam Mills

Probable HOFers during the Benson Era
1. Drew Brees
2. Cam Jordan
3. Jahri Evans
4. Sean Payton

4. Sean Payton (06-21) 152-89) 2006, 2009, 2011, 2017-2020 NFCS Champions, 2009 NFC Champions, 2009 Super Bowl XLIV champions
-No subpar 7 win seasons
-Most wins in franchise history.

I believe that record speaks for itself. In fact given what you posted I would have given a grade an F if it weren't for Seans tenure.

Before Sean/Drew "C", with Sean &Drew "A", after Sean to present FFFF.

Last edited:
2. Mike Ditka (97-99) 15-33
All three seasons were subpar 7 win seasons
I'm confused by the usage of subpar, the wording makes it seem like he had 7 wins each season but those seasons were mediocre. But 2 of his seasons the team only one 6 games, and his last season as their coach they only won 3 games

I'm confused by the usage of subpar, the wording makes it seem like he had 7 wins each season but those seasons were mediocre. But 2 of his seasons the team only one 6 games, and his last season as their coach they only won 3 games
I meant under 7 wins.
And I used that distinction because 7 wins has historically been the floor during the Bensons’ ownership.

I meant under 7 wins.
And I used that distinction because 7 wins has historically been the floor during the Bensons’ ownership.
You do know that Tom Benson's first full season as Saints owner was in 1985, the year after he literally saved the Saints from relocating to Jacksonville from out-of-state owners from a tired, defeated, pathetic former owner John Mecom? I suppose 1986 would or should be seen as sort of the "unofficial" beginning of Benson's tenure since thats the year he hired both Finks and Mora as GM and HC, respectively and we, as Saints fans, were able to finally enjoy some sustained measure of success over the next decade and Bum Phillips' last year in 1985 wasnt really his choice, but a holdover from the previous regime.

I do distinctly believe that if we'd beaten L.A. Rams in Week 16 instead of that epic, last-second FG heartbreak, we clinch our first winning season and post-season berth, win or loss the following week @ Dallas, I think Mecom sticks around as owner for maybe another decade and while I think Bum retires around the same time or sooner, the mid-late 80's Saints resurgence, the "Dome Patrol" in its eventual incarnation doesn't occur. I think given our talent roster going in the mid-80's being so good and promising, I think we have some winning seasons anyway but nothing on the level that Mora, Finks and co. brought us.

Last edited:
You do know that Tom Benson's first full season as Saints owner was in 1985, the year after he literally saved the Saints from relocating to Jacksonville from out-of-state owners from a tired, defeated, pathetic former owner John Mecom? I suppose 1986 would or should be seen as sort of the "unofficial" beginning of Benson's tenure since thats the year he hired both Finks and Mora as GM and HC, respectively and we, as Saints fans, were able to finally enjoy some sustained measure of success over the next decade and Bum Phillips' last year in 1985 wasnt really his choice, but a holdover from the previous regime.

I do distinctly believe that if we'd beaten L.A. Rams in Week 16 instead of that epic, last-second FG heartbreak, we clinch our first winning season and post-season berth, win or loss the following week @ Dallas, I think Mecom sticks around as owner for maybe another decade and while I think Bum retires around the same time or sooner, the mid-late 80's Saints resurgence, the "Dome Patrol" in its eventual incarnation doesn't occur. I think given our talent roster going in the mid-80's being so good and promising, I think we have some winning seasons anyway but nothing on the level that Mora, Finks and co. brought us.
I personally consider 1986 the beginning because that’s when he hired his first coach/GM.

I think the Benson record is severely skewed by the presence of the Bill Walsh/Siefert 49ers. I fully believe that some of those teams had the ability to win the NFC if not the Super Bowl if they would not have had to get past the 49ers. There would have had many NFC West Titles and easier roads in the playoffs if not for the 49ers being a dynasty in their division.

The only real black marks are Ditka and DA. And if DA is gone after this year, it's not a huge thing in the grand scheme of things since it really just delayed the rebuild that was needed after Drew retired for a few years.

I'd give their ownership a solid B. Payton was as A+, Mora was a B+, Ditka F, and Allen D.

I think the Benson record is severely skewed by the presence of the Bill Walsh/Siefert 49ers. I fully believe that some of those teams had the ability to win the NFC if not the Super Bowl if they would not have had to get past the 49ers. There would have had many NFC West Titles and easier roads in the playoffs if not for the 49ers being a dynasty in their division.

The only real black marks are Ditka and DA. And if DA is gone after this year, it's not a huge thing in the grand scheme of things since it really just delayed the rebuild that was needed after Drew retired for a few years.

I'd give their ownership a solid B. Payton was as A+, Mora was a B+, Ditka F, and Allen D.
Had Mora’s Saints been in the NFCS, I have a few they would have made at least one run.

Not to mention, he/she never fooled themselves that they knew squat about football. That should be a giant A for any old timers who remember Mecom.

Say what you want about Loomis, it’s a better situation than owners personally insisting on “dream team” acquisitions or, God forbid again, hiring astronauts as general managers.

Had Mora’s Saints been in the NFCS, I have a few they would have made at least one run.
Or in the AFC back then. As I recall, at one point they had an absolutely unbelievable winning streak against AFC opponents.

Not to mention, he/she never fooled themselves that they knew squat about football. That should be a giant A for any old timers who remember Mecom.

Say what you want about Loomis, it’s a better situation than owners personally insisting on “dream team” acquisitions or, God forbid again, hiring astronauts as general managers.

Right. No moves like David Tepper insisting on drafting Bryce Young. Or holding training camp at Vero Beach with bad facilities and bad weather because they like to take their yacht there in the summer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom