Accuweather predicts stronger hurricanes for '07, but fewer than '05 (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Hurricane Threat Looms for US Energy Production and Gulf Coast in 2007
AccuWeather.com’s bastagei: “Last Year Was Just a Breather”

AccuWeather.com Hurricane Center Chief Forecaster Joe bastagei warns that the US Gulf Coast, which avoided the wrath of major storms and hurricanes in 2006, is at much higher risk of destructive tropical weather this year. This could have significant implications for the areas recovering from the devastation wrought by the hurricanes of 2004 and 2005—which included Katrina—as well as for energy prices, because of the significant energy production that occurs in the Gulf of Mexico.

bastagei, who in March of last year correctly forecasted that the region would get “minimal” attention by that season’s hurricanes, said that this year, “the Gulf and Florida face a renewed threat, and we will see more powerful storms across the board. We will not get anywhere near the amount of storms that we did in 2005, but it is the intensity of the storms we do get that will be of major concern.”

“We’ll see storms on the prowl in the Gulf again. The entire region—including New Orleans and other areas that are still rebuilding after Katrina—is susceptible to landfalling storms. Of concern to consumers everywhere is that there is so much oil and natural gas drilling and refining occurring in the Gulf. This year’s stronger storms are likely to cause the kind of disruption that will be felt in wallets and pocketbooks.”

READ MORE
http://wwwa.accuweather.com/promo-ad.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&dir=aw&page=hurr07

>>He nailed the threat to the Gulf Coast in '05. :covri:

Yeah, but I had it before him. :rock: And I owned him on the end-game for Lili (he was very good in 2002 btw).

Thanks for the link. Joe B is pretty much the man and one of the best pattern recognition mets out there.

A co-worker told me she said a psychic told her it's Brownsville's year. Ask enough psychics and you'll get all the cities. :shrug: I might give her a call if she verifies.

FWIW, I haven't done 5% of the research on the 2007 season yet that I'd need to have any credibility. All I know is that we're rolling into a La Nina which usually means some activity in the Gulf... We'll see as the season starts in just a little over 2 months. Important events still to be watched are things like getting the pulse of the SOI index, water temperature reversals in late April and May along with spring rainfall paterns.

Steve, I have to confess that I find Mr. bastagei to be somewhat of a jerk and acts very pompous like to people he doenst agree with in his profession.

He may give it to you straight, but he does it the wrong way IMHO. I dont listen to know it all jerks.

And I think Steve Lyons is a much better hurricane analyst then most people give him credit for. sure he works for the Weather Channel and they can have some actors on there, but Lyons knows his stuff I must say, plus he doenst have an attitude. He is workable and able to be a communicator.

I want that in a person reporting the weather. Very Knowledgeable but approachable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom