all brees had to do was throw a dump-off (1 Viewer)

neworleanshoo

hoodat
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
the safeties were all playing far back, the wideouts took the corners downfield...

i just can't understand for the life of me what we were doing. either throw the bomb and go for the (useless) win, or get drew the record the easiest possible way - throw a screen to deuce and let him run 16 yards!!

gotta be hard for drew to stomach. easiest pass of the day goes in the turf.

BUT... all he needed was a simple screen pass.

i just can't understand for the life of me what we were doing.

Trying to win the game?

I think if Drew wanted a meaningless record, he would have taken it. But even in the last play/desperation time, winning was more important.

That's what it looked like to me.

how does a 20 yard throw win the game for us?

that's exactly my confusion - if we were "trying for the win" that's NOT the play to do it.

Trying to win the game?

I think if Drew wanted a meaningless record, he would have taken it. But even in the last play/desperation time, winning was more important.

That's what it looked like to me.
:plus-un2: absolutely

how does a 20 yard throw win the game for us?

that's exactly my confusion - if we were "trying for the win" that's NOT the play to do it.

Throwing to the end zone wouldn't have worked, with about 17 defensive backs back there.

The only chance was a throw and run... possibly with laterals and prayers mixed in.

the safeties were all playing far back, the wideouts took the corners downfield...

i just can't understand for the life of me what we were doing. either throw the bomb and go for the (useless) win, or get drew the record the easiest possible way - throw a screen to deuce and let him run 16 yards!!

gotta be hard for drew to stomach. easiest pass of the day goes in the turf.

BUT... all he needed was a simple screen pass.

I posted a poll for this very reason... to see how much we appreciated the Saints going for the victory vs settling for the record.

That must have been a tough call.

Listen to Payton's conference. We were going for the win, period. It was supposed to get to Lance, but the throw was off. I don't think they thought he could throw it into the end zone from the 35. They were getting it to Lance so he could hopefully keep the ball in play.
It is what it is, but man, what a comeback! Even if we didn't win, I'm proud of all of them. Even if I am in the minority on this forum...

it looked to me like we WERE going for the record throwing a 15-20 yard route over the middle to lance.

i just think we could've gotten it on a much easier dumpoff screen.

the ball hitting the turf on that last play was like a punch to the gut. fitting end to the season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom