Always the Bridesmaid, never the Bride. (1 Viewer)

ilvdsnts

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Those who were around back then will recall, there was a stretch through the 87-92 seasons where, IIRC, only 2 NFL teams had a better record over that period, the Bills, and the 9ers. Yet, we had no hardware to show for our efforts because the 9ers won the SB twice during that period, but even Buff at least won their Conference twice during those years so they at least had 2 conference trophies for their efforts. Fast forward to now, 2017-2019, the Saints have THE BEST RECORD IN THE NFL:

Saints 37-11
NE 36-12
KC 34-14
Balt 33-15
Seat 30-18

Yet over this period, squat for hardware. Hopefully it changes this year, but even if it does, we still have far less to show for our efforts than our regular season record should indicate. Do you think there is something specific about our organization over the years, that our regular season success don't translate to postseason success? Any thoughts?

Like the man above said ^

I think we've had enough threads bemoaning that 13-3 doesn't guarantee a title, if I'm honest.

Do you think there is something specific about our organization over the years, that our regular season success don't translate to postseason success? Any thoughts?

It's mostly been late game, flukish, bonehead things that end our seasons. Vernon Bleeping Davis, miraculous runs, miraculous missed tackles, miraculous missed calls, and each more gut wrenching than the last. I don't even want to think about what's next...

FINISH THE JOB!!! I'm sure that the team is sick of coming up short. I have a feeling that everybody will be zoned in to go all the way.

Fast forward to now, 2017-2019, the Saints have THE BEST RECORD IN THE NFL:

Saints 37-11
NE 36-12
KC 34-14
Balt 33-15
Seat 30-18

Yet over this period, squat for hardware. Hopefully it changes this year, but even if it does, we still have far less to show for our efforts than our regular season record should indicate. Do you think there is something specific about our organization over the years, that our regular season success don't translate to postseason success? Any thoughts?

Out of the 5 teams you listed for top records 2017 -2019 only 1 (NE) has "hardware" to show for it. 134-58 cumulative record for 4 teams(NO, KC, Baltimore, Seattle), yet ZERO Super Bowls.

Last edited:
I don't know what you're talking about. The Saints hit "bride" status ten years ago!

As has been said earlier, getting to and winning the Superbowl is tough. We've won three straight division championships. We're one of two teams in our division to have won a Superbowl Championship ever (the Bucs have the other one). There are a bunch of teams that would love to be us.

I've been around long enough to remember the 1-15 1980 season and the many years of Saints football futility, just wishing for a non-losing season and maybe a playoff appearance.

Win or lose from here on out, I'm going to enjoy these times while they last.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom