An 'Absolut' world? (1 Viewer)

Absolut apologizes. Swedish company confirms it's selling the Absolut brand to...get this...the French. :hihi:

Vin & Sprit, Absolut's Sweden-based parent company, will be acquired by French spirit maker Pernod Ricard SA under a deal reached last week.

FOX NEWS
Vodka Maker Apologizes for Ad Depicting Southwest as Part of Mexico
Saturday, April 05, 2008

MEXICO CITY — The Absolut vodka company apologized Saturday for an ad campaign depicting the southwestern U.S. as part of Mexico amid angry calls for a boycott by U.S. consumers.

READ MORE
FOXNews.com - Vodka Maker Apologizes for Ad Depicting Southwest as Part of Mexico - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

This is just another instance of Faux News trying to blow something out of proportion to garner anti-mexican sentiment.

It's an ad for their Vodka, IN MEXICO. The ad is only going to run IN MEXICO.

Who gives a flip what ads they run IN MEXICO? That's their target audience IN MEXICO.

Fox News sure does like to whine and cry and act like little sissies when it suits their purpose. And its sad that people dont even try to see the context. All they see is what Fox shows them: "WHAT? Absolut made an ad showing TEXAS belonging to those DIRTY MEXICANS??? DARNED IMMIGRANT LIBERALES"

Context people. CONTEXT.

day, I agree with you on principle but the problem with your argument is that such sentiment is going to piss off people anyway but Absolut is a well known vodka drink company that gets some well known advertising for it products. This is a bad PR stunt to me or maybe being a bit over the top to some of its clients in Latin America, like Mexico for instance. Fox News, as much as people hate them and I distrust them too, cannot be blamed so much as most of the PR department of the company. If you lived in Texas or Arizona, or New Mexico day and you saw this ad, how would you feel if you were a bit sensitive and got offended easily? I don't think they realized that this would be a problem and it blew up in their faces. Its bad PR at least to run the ad.

Last edited:
Maybe a better example would be day is if a beer company ran an add that said celebrated the old South and made the inference that the South was right to secede from the Union and glorified it. Strange as it sounds, their have been many products that have Rebel flag insignias, Dixie beer and gas stations, and themes that make the Confederacy seem like something to be dignified and when in reality something darker was their. The whole Mexican flag spur up was silly and kind of contradictory. If some Mexican-americans can wave a Mexican flag outside a school in Texas, why cant the state legislature in Alabama make it a law to have the Rebel Flag outside the rotunda in Montgomery. Just on principle answer that. No matter what you think of the immigrant problems or the Rebel Flag, why cant some people wave it or celebrate it like Hispanics have in their culture or their heritage? Is Mexican history not full of bad moments and dark blights on it? Did Mexicans in some time in their history at any point ever own slaves? did they ever get involved in the slave trade at some point? If we are going for a relativist argument lets see it from that standpoint before we claim moral superiority?

This is just another instance of Faux News trying to blow something out of proportion to garner anti-mexican sentiment.

It's an ad for their Vodka, IN MEXICO. The ad is only going to run IN MEXICO.

Who gives a flip what ads they run IN MEXICO? That's their target audience IN MEXICO.

Sure looks like its written in English. If they were just going to run that in Mexico, I think they have even more problems than inappropriate messages.

I see this as a marketing success for them. Stir up controversy, get people talking, and get loads of free advertisement for their product.

My boy Lou Dobbs did a segment on this tonight. Absolut is feeling a heavy backlash from the states over this ad.

Saintman draws a very apt comparison. How many people angry with this add would love seeing one with a map of the Confederacy instead?

I agree the add was in poor taste, but the backlash Absolut is recieving over it is just downright rediculous. Would any of you be just as angry if they released an add here in the States showing us owning both Canada and Mexico? Both scenarios are plausible given different outcomes in our nation's history. (Benedict Arnold not turning traitor and Congress voting to occupy all of Mexico after the war) Ask yourself, would you be angry if you saw that add? If not, then you cannot be angry to see this one.

My boy Lou Dobbs did a segment on this tonight. Absolut is feeling a heavy backlash from the states over this ad.

Yep, pretty soon that brand will be dead in the US..right?

People will get upset, but mostly it will be those that do not buy the stuff anyway. Some will stop, but in time, they will pour a cup as soon as they return from an evening of Burgers and Freedom Fries with the kids.

Yep, pretty soon that brand will be dead in the US..right?

People will get upset, but mostly it will be those that do not buy the stuff anyway. Some will stop, but in time, they will pour a cup as soon as they return from an evening of Burgers and Freedom Fries with the kids.

Pretty much. 3 months from now it'll be almost forgotten, partly due to inbriation due to...absolut.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom