And they say Kamara was washed. (2 Viewers)

I know he's 30 but he doesn't have the typical NFL wear and tear that most feature backs had of an era that has passed. Plus, he really takes care of himself. He can get 15-18 touches and still be super productive while hardly breaking a sweat.
He can be a bell cow just as long as the scheme doesn't involve having him slam into the back of the ol predictably on every single 2nd down

I know he's 30 but he doesn't have the typical NFL wear and tear that most feature backs had of an era that has passed. Plus, he really takes care of himself. He can get 15-18 touches and still be super productive while hardly breaking a sweat.
He was used properly vs the Panthers (20 touches) 15 rushes for 80+ yards and 5 receptions for 20+ yards which gave him the typical 100 all purpose yard game that made him the versatile back Payton envisioned and used when he drafted him, not the bell cow DA and PC tried to use him as.

The only thing I've said is that you don't give big money, long term extensions to 29 year old RBs and that it's better to move on a year early than many years too late. That is my general rule on expensive, aging RBs.

If he leaves at the end of the year and has his decline on another team, then so be it. If he wants to go year to year here, that's great. He looked great yesterday and I hope he has such a great season that some team will pay him way too much money. I just hope it's not our team doing that.

Me all off season: The Oline was horrible and the game plan was terrible, of course he didn't look the same. He's the same guy.

SR: Nah, he's lost a step.

SR After Game 1: Man, AK looks great!

Yup, I would say there were more folks than not that held this opinion.....

He hasn't lost a thing, just needed a bit of space/time.....he is far from your average almost 30 RB.....I think if he can stay relatively healthy he has 3 really good years left in him.....

I think the concerns about how much and how long you should sign him are going to stay valid. Most of that is just a basic philosophy on where your money should go. He's not 2017 Alvin anymore but he's tough, smart and can still glide. There is plenty of athleticism left for at least a couple more highly productive years (hopefully more).

I think anyone would agree it's great seeing him featured in this zone running scheme. It's what he was always meant to do.
Dennis Allen’s lukewarm response to his performance continues to highlight that Alvin is on a farewell tour.

“Look I think the scheme helps Alvin and that in turn helps us”.

I was totally against giving him the same type of contract he has had, where he's paid as the 2nd best back in the league. I still am just as against that as I was before the game. I do not doubt Kamara, his commitment, or his talent. What I was doubting was the Saints ability to be a contender, and if we are not a real contender we do not need to give a RB nearing 30 years old a monster multi-year contract. We still do not know if we are any type of contender so my stance has not changed.

Like I said before, I hope they can extend him to a reasonable contract with enough guaranteed money to make him feel the love. I would love to have Alvin till he retires, it just cannot be with a contract that pays him as the second best back in the league.

Yup, I would say there were more folks than not that held this opinion.....

He hasn't lost a thing, just needed a bit of space/time.....he is far from your average almost 30 RB.....I think if he can stay relatively healthy he has 3 really good years left in him.....

I mean, he looks very good, but he has lost a step. He's not the home run threat he was in his first few seasons. He's still a very good running back, but in his first few seasons he was an elite big play guy.

And honestly with the way the OL played yesterday, Jamal Williams looked like a good RB when he's really an average RB with an amazing personality.

People were saying it, because they did not understand he was no longer being put in a position to succeed, he was relegated to a power back which he is not.

There is a big difference between saying he's lost a step and he's "washed". Washed means done as a good starting RB. I don't recall anyone saying that and if they did, it was a very small number of people.

Last edited:
I mean, he looks very good, but he has lost a step. He's not the home run threat he was in his first few seasons. He's still a very good running back, but in his first few seasons he was an elite big play guy.

And honestly with the way the OL played yesterday, Jamal Williams looked like a good RB when he's really an average RB with an amazing personality.

We disagree then, I don't think he has lost a thing....his quickness, change of direction is still elite.....and that was on full display yesterday....

We disagree then, I don't think he has lost a thing....his quickness, change of direction is still elite.....and that was on full display yesterday....

Maybe so, but I'm not talking about his quickness or change of direction. I think his quickness, vision, and balance are still elite, but he's doesn't have the pure straight line speed to run away from people that he did in his first few years. I still think he's easily a top 10 RB and probably top 5.

He's still a great RB but the question is how long can he play at this level? I think he can from two more years but beyond that, it's questionable. RB decline tends to be straight down, not a slow decline.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom