Anybody else feel weird that we're not looking for a new QB? (1 Viewer)

Isn't it nice and to top it off, our guy is:

1. The best free agent acquisition in the offseason
2. The best free agent acquisition ever by the Saints
3. Healing well and expected to get better as time goes
3. A fiery, inspiring, commanding leader on the field
4. Smart!!

I must be forgetting something, but I agree 100%

My list of needs is topped by corners then LB's, We haven't had corners since forever.

Who Dat!

It'll be interesting to see if in the future this FA acquisition is looked at in the same way as Green Bay's signing of Reggie White is.

It'll be interesting to see if in the future this FA acquisition is looked at in the same way as Green Bay's signing of Reggie White is.

Drew's signing with N.O. has all of the same "tell tale" signs, doesn't it?

I like the idea of building through the draft other than FA, like New England did through the last few years. We are at a point where we can do that now. We could pick up one good player in FA, e.g. Briggs, Thomas, Clements, Samuel...and role players if needed but we need to fill positions through the draft. The new coaching staff did an awesome job in their first draft, lets hope they continue.

I agree, GameBreaker, but if there is a "fit" in FA at one of our other need positions in the offseason, besides MLB or corner, I'd like to see them make that move, as well...

With this organization's track record in the draft thus far, it's obviously the way to build for the long term... But you can't knock what they did in the FA market either.

I think we have to get used to the fact that we have a staff now that can evaluate and spot talent where ever they are: draft or FA.

I agree, GameBreaker, but if there is a "fit" in FA at one of our other need positions in the offseason, besides MLB or corner, I'd like to see them make that move, as well...

With this organization's track record in the draft thus far, it's obviously the way to build for the long term... But you can't knock what they did in the FA market either.

I think we have to get used to the fact that we have a staff now that can evaluate and spot talent wherevever they are: draft or FA.

I think the "fit" is going to be Nate Clements. He's a physical corner, good in run support, thrives on playing close to the WR. He fits in perfectly with Gibbs Cover-1 schemes and makes a good pair with McKenzie.

But he is the only player i'd "splurge" on. Beyond that, veteran depth is all I would go for in FA.

The problem with acquiring players in FA is you have to overpay to do so. If you have a critical need or it's a difficult to fill a spot (CB and QB go in the latter catagory) then you do what you need to do. But if possible it's always better to build by drafting, because rookies (other then top 10 picks) are invariably cheaper and you can get a discount on resigning the in the future.

I think the "fit" is going to be Nate Clements. He's a physical corner, good in run support, thrives on playing close to the WR. He fits in perfectly with Gibbs Cover-1 schemes and makes a good pair with McKenzie.

But he is the only player i'd "splurge" on. Beyond that, veteran depth is all I would go for in FA.

The problem with acquiring players in FA is you have to overpay to do so. If you have a critical need or it's a difficult to fill a spot (CB and QB go in the latter catagory) then you do what you need to do. But if possible it's always better to build by drafting, because rookies (other then top 10 picks) are invariably cheaper and you can get a discount on resigning the in the future.

Very well put, LSSpam, and once again, I appreciate your explanation. I am still under the belief that this staff will find the MLB we need next year, whether it be via the draft or FA. They haven't disappointed me yet in either arena, and I see no reason to question their future moves right now.

You're a very knowledgable guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom