Apropos Sean Payton quote from 2014 (1 Viewer)

brandon8283

Probably a drive-by
Reaction score
I can’t find a video of it anywhere, but apparently I found this quote important enough to post on Facebook 9 years ago and it showed up in my memories today from the postgame press conference after the November 30th, 2014 game.

“Sean Payton said:
"If you're a teacher, and every one of your students gets a 'D', then you could say 'Well, no one studied.' Or you might have to look at the way you're teaching."

Seems extremely applicable to our current situation.

Interestingly enough, they won that game against the Steelers to end a 3-game skid.

And then went on to play their worst game of the season against Carolina.

Interestingly enough, they won that game against the Steelers to end a 3-game skid.

Holy crap.
Is your memory that good or did you look it up?

He also “taught” his way to 7-9 that season and then 7-9 for the next two season - and was on the cusp of being fired before Jeff Ireland pulled off a draft for the ages and got ol’ Sean some better “students”, I suppose.

He also “taught” his way to 7-9 that season and then 7-9 for the next two season - and was on the cusp of being fired before Jeff Ireland pulled off a draft for the ages and got ol’ Sean some better “students”, I suppose.
Those 2014-2016 teams were void of talent, roster was trash. Any other coach doesn’t come close to 7 games

You mean after winning us a Super Bowl? It's important to mention that given our current struggles, some coaches get a pass based on past achievements.

Those were also the teams with HISTORICALLY bad defenses...which, I get Sean was the head coach, but we all know defense wasn't his department. Only won 7 games because we had the juggernaut offense.

You mean after winning us a Super Bowl? It's important to mention that given our current struggles, some coaches get a pass based on past achievements.
Sure. Sometimes they do and lucky for him, Loomis and Benson were patient when he couldn’t seem to field a defense any higher than bottom 5 to compliment Drew in the thick of his prime.

Payton earned a pass - but it doesn’t excuse that he wasted 3 straight seasons of prime Drew when all he had to do was filed a defense that wasn’t one of the worst in the league to be a contender.

I love Payton and I was damn sad to see him leave but I don’t feel moved by his quote that occurred in the early stages of his most unimpressive, underachieving stretch as a coach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom