As told to Jeremy Fowler, Spencer Rattler was in the same tier as Bo Nix and other top QB Prospects (1 Viewer)

I hope Rattler turns out to be the steal of the draft. But as a matter of logic, it makes no sense to say that other teams had him rated as high as some of the quarterbacks picked in the first round. Five quarterbacks went in the first 12 picks. If some teams did not have those quarterbacks graded as first-round picks, I suspect strongly most teams had all five as top 50 picks (assuming they were all listed on their board--players are removed for a number of reasons). If teams had Rattler graded as a top 50 pick, he would have gone long before the fifth round. Where a player goes in the draft reflects how teams saw the player.

I don't know why Rattler was not graded more highly. But the fact remains he was a fifth-round pick. At the end of the fourth round and at the top of the fifth, most teams are not going to pass on quarterbacks they have graded as legitimate second-round picks.

yes, the NFL often misses on top picks but seldomly misses on later round picks and their inability to play.

So the league swings at highly talented and high upside guys and misses often but rarely do guy picked later (3rd and later) end up being good. I realize there are notable exceptions but % wise, few later round picks succeed.
Have you actually looked at the stats on how rosters are built today. I think you'd be surprised about how many later round players make teams and even are starters. There are more UDFA players on rosters than first rounders.

I hope Rattler turns out to be the steal of the draft. But as a matter of logic, it makes no sense to say that other teams had him rated as high as some of the quarterbacks picked in the first round. Five quarterbacks went in the first 12 picks. If some teams did not have those quarterbacks graded as first-round picks, I suspect strongly most teams had all five as top 50 picks (assuming they were all listed on their board--players are removed for a number of reasons). If teams had Rattler graded as a top 50 pick, he would have gone long before the fifth round. Where a player goes in the draft reflects how teams saw the player.

I don't know why Rattler was not graded more highly. But the fact remains he was a fifth-round pick. At the end of the fourth round and at the top of the fifth, most teams are not going to pass on quarterbacks they have graded as legitimate second-round picks.

There is nothing wrong with the logic. What's wrong is you are trying to come to a black and white conclusion, using an if then statement, and there are simply too many unknown variables for it to be as simple as that. This leading you to believe that it doesn't make sense because there are gaps you aren't privy to.

What we know is that he fell, what we also know is that his talent, universally is not indicative of where he "should" have gone. The General consensus is he was a "steal" for a reason. We also know that players like Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Will Levis, P.J. Williams etc, have falls that have them drafted later than they should have been.

Without trying to say where he "should" have been drafted just accept that he could have gone higher, he didn't and it worked out for us.

Have you actually looked at the stats on how rosters are built today. I think you'd be surprised about how many later round players make teams and even are starters. There are more UDFA players on rosters than first rounders.
The conversation is about QBs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom