At the Copa, Copa America ('24) (5 Viewers)

I am the most fairweather USMNT fan alive but even I knew the Billy Martin-esque move of firing and then re-hiring Berhalter was never going to work.

But its all his bros that run US Soccer right? Like this is sort of a Dennis Allen/Loomis situation, or is there an actual shot at a change?

i had posted last week about the rabbit hole i went down post Panama loss.

its deeeeeeep rooted. But in summary, yes Jay Berhalter is an integral figure w/in US Soccer ( altho his "role" currently is with MLS - but the two entities are quite intertwined ) Don Garber as well ( current Commissioner of MLS ). They picked their replacements at US Soccer. They picked the "commission" to find a coach post Berhalter firing in 2022.

and I want to say a few posters here started ringing the alarm bells 6-8 years ago - maybe @44slayer was one, there was another US Soccer supporter here that posted about the state of US Soccer ( but at that time it was under Sunil Gulati )

i had posted last week about the rabbit hole i went down post Panama loss.

its deeeeeeep rooted. But in summary, yes Jay Berhalter is an integral figure w/in US Soccer ( altho his "role" currently is with MLS - but the two entities are quite intertwined ) Don Garber as well ( current Commissioner of MLS ). They picked their replacements at US Soccer. They picked the "commission" to find a coach post Berhalter firing in 2022.

and I want to say a few posters here started ringing the alarm bells 6-8 years ago - maybe @44slayer was one, there was another US Soccer supporter here that posted about the state of US Soccer ( but at that time it was under Sunil Gulati )

We saw this coming from many, many miles away. Deep down, we all knew this was going to be the story of Copa. We just played along, hoped for the best. The best games we've played since Qatar, have been under interims. That is still the case after Copa.

In the short term, we all knew Berhalter wasnt the answer at WC22. The thorough Van Gaaling he took in the knockouts. Then the Reyna drama and we were sure he was in the rearview. Then the 'exhaustive data drive hiring process' somehow settled back on Berhalter (it didnt).

There are just too many issues inside USSF. More than will be settled between now and 2026.

That leaves us with USSF firing him. That HAS to happen. I wouldnt might seeing Crocker go as well. And a full restructure of US Soccer. But 2 years, right now all Im concerned with is Berhalter gone.

Couple observations:

Hot take, Balogun is the key to this team. He is the finisher, we are just absolute crap at having someone pick up his runs. Get Gio off the wings and have him central to be the guy who does that.

I do not care how the players feel about Berhalter. No one picks their boss. No one has to like their boss. You lead in a way they respect you, but just like being a parent, you arent their friend. Quit asking them. Its not their job to pick a coach.

Its a 2 year sprint now. Theres a lot of big names out there. You can get sponsors to pony up for 1 of them and pitch it as a 2 year gig that has a huge upside. Klopp, Low, Pep, Xavi. Marsch, Wagner, etc. Jurgen is out there. I still wish Jurgen had this player pool.

Its time to get away from systems and let our guys go at defenders. This group isnt young anymore. They are all experienced in top flight leagues. Its time to take the handcuffs off and just go at teams with creativity and taking chances in the final 3rd.........and if you watched Panama play Bolivia, thats exactly how they scored. All 3 of their goals were exactly what we are lacking.

We saw this coming from many, many miles away. Deep down, we all knew this was going to be the story of Copa. We just played along, hoped for the best. The best games we've played since Qatar, have been under interims. That is still the case after Copa.

In the short term, we all knew Berhalter wasnt the answer at WC22. The thorough Van Gaaling he took in the knockouts. Then the Reyna drama and we were sure he was in the rearview. Then the 'exhaustive data drive hiring process' somehow settled back on Berhalter (it didnt).

There are just too many issues inside USSF. More than will be settled between now and 2026.

That leaves us with USSF firing him. That HAS to happen. I wouldnt might seeing Crocker go as well. And a full restructure of US Soccer. But 2 years, right now all Im concerned with is Berhalter gone.

Couple observations:

Hot take, Balogun is the key to this team. He is the finisher, we are just absolute crap at having someone pick up his runs. Get Gio off the wings and have him central to be the guy who does that.

I do not care how the players feel about Berhalter. No one picks their boss. No one has to like their boss. You lead in a way they respect you, but just like being a parent, you arent their friend. Quit asking them. Its not their job to pick a coach.

Its a 2 year sprint now. Theres a lot of big names out there. You can get sponsors to pony up for 1 of them and pitch it as a 2 year gig that has a huge upside. Klopp, Low, Pep, Xavi. Marsch, Wagner, etc. Jurgen is out there. I still wish Jurgen had this player pool.

Its time to get away from systems and let our guys go at defenders. This group isnt young anymore. They are all experienced in top flight leagues. Its time to take the handcuffs off and just go at teams with creativity and taking chances in the final 3rd.........and if you watched Panama play Bolivia, thats exactly how they scored. All 3 of their goals were exactly what we are lacking.
Well said
USWNT got Emma Hayes
I would like USMNT to get an equivalent

Last edited:
He spoke about Uruguay saying we were looking at 1 or 2 chances best, off set piece, or some other play...

One or two chances is the mindset you entered this match?

Then you lost before kick off.

For me it was a set piece in the 2nd half. CP is over the ball, and Berhalter is signaling in to his players, with his hands and his mouth "its 1-1". The score of the Pan-Bol game.

That was everything I needed to know. He was more worried about a game he had no control over, than the one he was coaching.

I havent looked at the stats, but a game you knew you likely had to win, and I cant even remember more than 1-2 chances. There was 1 in the 2nd half that Jedi kept alive, we had their keeper out of the net and we couldnt drive it home. Outside of that, I dont even remember anything dangerous.

The runs- waaaay to many times our players are either delayed in recognizing or recognize the move, yet dont pull the trigger on the pass...why? I think it has more to do with what Berhalter wants from them than playing what your opposition gives you.

We have been screaming for years about allowing players the ability to run at defender, make him miss, and now their defense is under real pressure. Again, tentative to do this, and i have to believe thats from Berhalter looking to maximize possession vs attacking, in fear of counter. However, if you have the proper back line set, then you can afford to play attacking.

Its all too basic and bland. Same reason we get to within last 1/3 and we look like we never been there before- no ideas, no movement and no attempts on goal.

I dont mind Gio on the wing....he has a knack for hitting a pretty cross field ball on a dime. But then we need to find someone in mid-

McKinnie had that midfield role for a bit, but i think, and this is my own personal opinion, he has lost a bit of his game- looks to be out of shape, mentally not tuned into the game as he once was. Yet at club level, was excelling in Serie A. So could he find a resurgence under another manager?
Musah as well.

And no one can tell me that these guys play so well at club level, return for USMNT duty, and look like 1/2 the player they were for last 8 months.

Im over all of it. Blow it all up - Parlow-Cone, Crocker, Berhalter- if you want to excel on an international stage, then decide thats what you want to do, and go 100% toward it. US Soccer seemingly is more interested in domestic success ( read: revenues ) than actual international success.

US Soccer seemingly is more interested in domestic success ( read: revenues ) than actual international success.

And this is where we are. Id just like to see them make 1 decent decision leading up until 26. 2 years. Just bring on someone who can elevate the team. I dont buy that they can find the money. Its a 2 year gig.

All that going on, I think I came closest to losing my full mind when they were about to substitute Shaq Moore on. He was getting instructions at 1 point. I get we were thin at RB with Dest out and Scally on his last leg. But on what planet are you trying to find 2 goals with 10-15 min left that Shaq Moore is the answer?

Last edited:
For me it was a set piece in the 2nd half. CP is over the ball, and Berhalter is signaling in to his players, with his hands and his mouth "its 1-1". The score of the Pan-Bol game.

That was everything I needed to know. He was more worried about a game he had no control over, than the one he was coaching.
For me it was that he was excited about 1-1
There should have been no expectation that would be final score - you HAD to push for 3pts
Southgate and Deschamps et al can get away with that nonsense bc they have bellinghams and mbappes (and benches who would start for us)

*sigh* whatever- we all know what needs to happen

McKinnie should have shot
For me it was that he was excited about 1-1
There should have been no expectation that would be final score - you HAD to push for 3pts
Southgate and Deschamps et al can get away with that nonsense bc they have bellinghams and mbappes (and benches who would start for us)

*sigh* whatever- we all know what needs to happen

I don't follow U.S. players with their clubs, but I follow Zendejas (who wasn't called for Copa) because he plays for my team in Liga MX, and I know Berhalter played him out of position the whole time he was with the team (he plays way better on the other side of the field); so I wonder how many players play out of position.

The USSF has money, and coach of the U.S. team is a very attractive job. They should be able to bring someone with proven coaching experience in any of the big European leagues.

McKinnie should have shot

I don't follow U.S. players with their clubs, but I follow Zendejas (who wasn't called for Copa) because he plays for my team in Liga MX, and I know Berhalter played him out of position the whole time he was with the team (he plays way better on the other side of the field); so I wonder how many players play out of position.

The USSF has money, and coach of the U.S. team is a very attractive job. They should be able to bring someone with proven coaching experience in any of the big European leagues.

It's not only playing some guys out of position. It's also asking them to not do what they instinctively do (at club) to fit his tactics. And it's primarily with the attacking front. Defensively it's OK.

But that's been the book on him since 2013. Defensive part fine. Attacking part woeful.

This would have been allowed in the US game because a shoelace made the attackers onside

The Brazil player kicked the ball into the down Colombian

That Raphinha free kick goal was fantastic

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom