Authentic Saints and Sean Payton playbooks (1 Viewer)

zorro37

Cha-Champs
Reaction score
Found these on TYT, amazing how people can find these sorts of things.

What is including in the .zip are the offensive playbooks for the 2004 Saints, and the 2000 Giants (whose OC was none other than our own Sean Payton).

These are upwards of 150 pages for the Saints, and over 450 for the Giants, in a pdf, and will probably mean little to nothing to you, but I'm positive other Saints junkies like me will find these interesting.

I'd say that our current playbook isn't drastically different to Payton's Giants one, but seeing as that was his first year as an offensive coordinator in the NFL, his plays have probably evolved a lot since.

The main reason I'm putting these up is that looking at one play will probably make you so confused your brain hurts. This is to, hopefully, stamp out the SR myth that 'OMGZ *Insertyoungplayer* can't even learn the playbook in time'.

An NFL playbook is like a huge secret code that only a select few can decipher, and I'd like to think that if I gave some of the Meachem criticisers one of these books, and told them they had 2 or 3 months to memorise the entire thing, they might think twice about repeating themselves.

Here is the download link (Only 15mb in total):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0MWW4H88

Last edited:
just looking at em you can tell the 2000 Giants playbook is just better and more creative than the 2004 Saints playbook....definitely more intricate

I always find these finds interesting...A while back I had found a playbook from the Haslett days on
fastandfuriousfootball dot com but I think the website has since been turned into a pay site...

Anyways great find...

Sorrry about that I didn't know there was a limit otherwise I'd have uploaded elsewhere.

I'll try and get a new link ASAP.

I didn't download, but NFL playbooks are all complex. Players (and especially first round players) are being paid millions to do their job, part of which is learning the playbook. That learning includes many reps at training camp at at practice and plenty of assistant coaches to help. Regardless of how complicated, it is reasonable to expect a player to devote himself to learning it.

If a player doesn't know where he supposed to be on a particular play, his physical skills don't make any difference.

Our other receivers--Colston, Dev, Moore--and the others we've had since Payton came on have all learned the playbook. I can't see that Meach has an excuse, especially since he was given an entire year his rookie season to learn it through mental reps, and then a second off season and training camp to get the physical reps.

Our other receivers--Colston, Dev, Moore--and the others we've had since Payton came on have all learned the playbook. I can't see that Meach has an excuse, especially since he was given an entire year his rookie season to learn it through mental reps, and then a second off season and training camp to get the physical reps.

Everyone learns at their own pace...some people (myself included) seem as they aren't getting it until one day when everything clicks, and they understand more about a body of knowledge than many who seemed to learn the information quickly. Then those people are capable of innovations others are not...

Hopefully that's the kind of learner Meachem is.

I didn't download, but NFL playbooks are all complex. Players (and especially first round players) are being paid millions to do their job, part of which is learning the playbook. That learning includes many reps at training camp at at practice and plenty of assistant coaches to help. Regardless of how complicated, it is reasonable to expect a player to devote himself to learning it.

If a player doesn't know where he supposed to be on a particular play, his physical skills don't make any difference.

TOOK LANCE 3 YEARS, game reps are worthless if u dont have consistency doing it. Its harder to build confidence. If anything meach should be one of our better blockers since thats where a lot of his reps came in

It says 2004. Isn't that Haslett?

Okay, never mind. First time through the thread I thought we were comparing the evolution of Payton plays, so I got confused.

I understand now everyone, except me, knew it was 2004.

Attention to detail. Payton's playbook starts with telling the players how to huddle properly and how long they have to get the play in and get lined up. Attention to detail = top 5 offense year in, year out.

Attention to detail. Payton's playbook starts with telling the players how to huddle properly and how long they have to get the play in and get lined up. Attention to detail = top 5 offense year in, year out.

That's pretty common in most playbooks actually.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom