Beat The SAINTS? Collapse the "pocket". (1 Viewer)

MamaRoux

Veteran
Reaction score
The "vintage" Drew Brees, working in unison with his O-line, has him succeeding by doing just a couple of things with drop dead timing. Drew wil either "play-action", drop back and throw, roll out to the right or left or, most often, he'll "climb" inside a gaping maw of a "pocket" created ( hopefully ) by the line.

In the case of Cincy's success, when it came against Drew and The Line, they were able to collapse that pocket in the middle. Brees has a Montana-esque ability to "feel" pressure, avoiding it more often than not, when he is able to take steps inside, situating himself for a deadly accurate pass. This buys time and allows for his throw to be pin-point.

All SAINTS opponents, to be successful, need do is disrupt that middle to get to Brees or get him to "scramble", which he is not nearly as adroit to do than a planned roll-out.

This disrupts the timing of the whole Offense and more often than not will wind up badly for Our SAINTS! I hope Coach Payton sees this success the bengals had and has some good coaching advice for those linemen as this seems to me to be one of the few weaknesses they have.

Protect that middle and The SAINTS, with Drew Brees WILL tear you apart!

Welcoming a healthy squad at just the right time! Looking for a victorios Back-To-Back Superbowl run!

I dont think its any secret that this is how you stop ANY pocket passer.

Great, now that you have posted this on a public forum everyone is going to know.

Loose lips sink ships.

Brees has the best pocket presence of any QB I've ever seen, its one of his best attributes and the key to his success. I agree that collapsing the pocket is the way to beat Brees. But to collapse the pocket, you must go through Evans, Goodwin, and Nicks. Easier said than done.

You just now noticing this?

Just made more evident during that Cincy game IMHO! It seemed so blatant and worked so well, I don't see how this one thing, pressure up the middle, can be so disruptive to THIS particular Offense. We really rely so heavily on that singular aspect of "forming a pocket" it becomes at once our strength and "achilles heal".

I haven't seen any of our opponents really get after this with the kind of diligence one would expect.

Maybe other teams have done it to us but it was just so apparent last week I wanted to read what others felt about #1 Why The SAINTS are so good at forming this method of protection and #2 Why other teams don't exploit this tendancy more frequently? The formula would be to always "roll" your pressure into the middle. Don't know why this isn't done as a matter of course? Perhaps this is off-set by screens, or called roll outs to both sides or what but I'll take the play of The SAINTS any day, as they surely have been successful at their schemes.

Brees has the best pocket presence of any QB I've ever seen, its one of his best attributes and the key to his success. I agree that collapsing the pocket is the way to beat Brees. But to collapse the pocket, you must go through Evans, Goodwin, and Nicks. Easier said than done.
Yea easier said than done. Even if you do Drew has some hot reads to get the ball out fast especially if other teams accomplish this by bringing in extra men.

That's why I'm so glad Tampa wasn't able to end up with Suh. That guy would have been a nightmare matchup for our offense for years.

You're 4 years late. Baltimore (I think that's who it was) did this in 2006 and certainly the Bears did it in the NFCCG. Every team tries to do it, but few have the talent on the D-line to do it. Much less, even if they have the talent, Brees, the O-line and the WR usually adjust accorningly.

Its really an old story.

The "vintage" Drew Brees, working in unison with his O-line, has him succeeding by doing just a couple of things with drop dead timing. Drew wil either "play-action", drop back and throw, roll out to the right or left or, most often, he'll "climb" inside a gaping maw of a "pocket" created ( hopefully ) by the line.

In the case of Cincy's success, when it came against Drew and The Line, they were able to collapse that pocket in the middle. Brees has a Montana-esque ability to "feel" pressure, avoiding it more often than not, when he is able to take steps inside, situating himself for a deadly accurate pass. This buys time and allows for his throw to be pin-point.

All SAINTS opponents, to be successful, need do is disrupt that middle to get to Brees or get him to "scramble", which he is not nearly as adroit to do than a planned roll-out.

This disrupts the timing of the whole Offense and more often than not will wind up badly for Our SAINTS! I hope Coach Payton sees this success the bengals had and has some good coaching advice for those linemen as this seems to me to be one of the few weaknesses they have.

Protect that middle and The SAINTS, with Drew Brees WILL tear you apart!

Welcoming a healthy squad at just the right time! Looking for a victorios Back-To-Back Superbowl run!

Now you understand the Jari Evans deal. LIGHT BULB!!!!!!!!!!
MB

For all those that say "easier said than done", re-watch the Cincy game. They had a lot of success against Goodwin, Nicks, and Evans.

In fact, if it wasn't so late in the year I'd be interested to see what Tennant can do at center. That's not a change you make in Dec unless you have to, but I've been less than impressed with Goodwin lately.

You're 4 years late. Baltimore (I think that's who it was) did this in 2006 and certainly the Bears did it in the NFCCG. Every team tries to do it, but few have the talent on the D-line to do it. Much less, even if they have the talent, Brees, the O-line and the WR usually adjust accorningly.

Its really an old story.
I was at that 2006 Ravens game. I remember thinking "wow! they are dominating us.". I guess after the Rams game, we'll get to go to Baltimore and show them how far we've come.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom