Reaction score
AFC:

New England
Baltimore
Kansas City
Indianapolis
Houston
Buffalo

These teams all have winning records, and are expected to be in the playoffs, for the most part. There are a few teams that could also get into the mix:

Pittsburgh
Jacksonville
Oakland

However, with that being said, none of these teams are truly being battle tested, week in and week out. Even New England, the king of the hill in the AFC never really plays anyone. They are usually spotted 6 games in their own division each year.

NFC:

New Orleans
Green Bay
Minnesota
San Fran Cisco
Seattle
LA Rams
Dallas
Philadelphia

These teams are all either great teams, are very good teams. All are expected to make the playoffs, and contend for a SB Title. Teams in the mix:

Detroit
Chicago
Carolina

Detroit could be on the other list, if the Ref's hadn't stolen a game from them.

All these teams play each other and beat each other up, week in and week out. The weakest Division is our own, with the Buc's and Falcons both being horrible. However, each of these teams both have very good offenses, and are pretty much always in games. Heck, even Tampa can play some defense as well.

The Point? The AFC is down right now, and the teams coming out of it for the SB will never be truly tested going in. IMHO, whoever comes out from the NFC is the true NFL Champion. Looking at the Power rankings that keep coming out, it is a joke to me that New England remains at #1 every week. Strength of Schedule doesn't even come into it for them, which is a joke.

What is the deal with the Media Types? Why do they ignore what other see so easily? The AFC is nothing to write home about. And, being spotted 6 games in your Division should count for something.

There comes a point, where you have to finally put 2 and 2 together. No team in the AFC should receive superiority over an NFC team, IMHO. The NFC is a battle Tested Conference, and that should be noted in any conversation about who the best team is in the NFL, and that most especially includes Power Polls.

AFC:

New England
Baltimore
Kansas City
Indianapolis
Houston
Buffalo

These teams all have winning records, and are expected to be in the playoffs, for the most part. There are a few teams that could also get into the mix:

Pittsburgh
Jacksonville
Oakland

However, with that being said, none of these teams are truly being battle tested, week in and week out. Even New England, the king of the hill in the AFC never really plays anyone. They are usually spotted 6 games in their own division each year.

NFC:

New Orleans
Green Bay
Minnesota
San Fran Cisco
Seattle
LA Rams
Dallas
Philadelphia

These teams are all either great teams, are very good teams. All are expected to make the playoffs, and contend for a SB Title. Teams in the mix:

Detroit
Chicago
Carolina

Detroit could be on the other list, if the Ref's hadn't stolen a game from them.

All these teams play each other and beat each other up, week in and week out. The weakest Division is our own, with the Buc's and Falcons both being horrible. However, each of these teams both have very good offenses, and are pretty much always in games. Heck, even Tampa can play some defense as well.

The Point? The AFC is down right now, and the teams coming out of it for the SB will never be truly tested going in. IMHO, whoever comes out from the NFC is the true NFL Champion. Looking at the Power rankings that keep coming out, it is a joke to me that New England remains at #1 every week. Strength of Schedule doesn't even come into it for them, which is a joke.

What is the deal with the Media Types? Why do they ignore what other see so easily? The AFC is nothing to write home about. And, being spotted 6 games in your Division should count for something.

There comes a point, where you have to finally put 2 and 2 together. No team in the AFC should receive superiority over an NFC team, IMHO. The NFC is a battle Tested Conference, and that should be noted in any conversation about who the best team is in the NFL, and that most especially includes Power Polls.

The Saints played Houston in the Dome and will play the Colts also in the Dome later this year. I'd say those AFC teams have been or will be tested.

Should we even count the AFC Superbowl wins? Maybe for 1/2 superbowls. I had a friend in Boston that sweared the reason New England won so many playoff games is because AFC teams are not as beat up by the end of the season. As long as I remember (that goes back pretty far) NFC championship games have been blood-baths. I remember one Dallas-San Fran championship maybe 1991 where even the media was saying "this game is like the superbowl". I think Cowgirls won and then kicked the beejesus out of Buffalo in the superbowl.

Even though Patriots have had an easier schedule, they have won 3 superbowls in the last 5 years.

Even though Patriots have had an easier schedule, they have won 3 superbowls in the last 5 years.

It also helps that they play in 6 glorified scrimmages every season but if you listen to 90% of the east coast writers they say that the Pats play just as tough a schedule as anyone every year!!

Your overall assessment is correct. The NFC is the true gauntlet.

My only point of contention is that you listed eight teams (in the NFC) that should make the playoffs. I'm sure it was an oversight, because you no doubt know that there are only 6 seeds in each conference.

:gosaints:

Your overall assessment is correct. The NFC is the true gauntlet.

My only point of contention is that you listed eight teams (in the NFC) that should make the playoffs. I'm sure it was an oversight, because you no doubt know that there are only 6 seeds in each conference.

:gosaints:
It was meant to show that there were 8 teams that could go to the playoffs, and will fight it out. It was to show just how much tougher the road is in the NFC than the AFC.

True. But, they haven't played the schedule an NFC Team plays.

I don't disagree that the AFC is less competitive this year. But I think the Pats, Ravens, Texans, Colts, Bills and the Chiefs are comparable to the top 6 NFC teams. I believe the Chiefs would have beaten the Packers if they had Mahomes playing. Heck, even the Titans have a good defense and could be a challenge for the Saints on the road.

Every time so far this season when NE plays a prime time game t he commentators praise the dominant efforts & never not even once mentioned the softest schedule . Booger McFarland is probably instructed not to do so because he has no problem saying a lot of other things about teams / players.

Just look at it this way. If the NFC teams mentioned were playing in the AFC Divisions, would they be bottom rung, or playing for their Division Title?

In the AFC, I see just a few teams that could really compete with the NFC teams: New England (maybe, though hard to tell with the schedule they are playing), Kansas City (with Mahomes), and Baltimore. All the other teams wouldn't stand a chance going through the NFC Schedule.

Indianapolis, Houston, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Oakland - none of these are great teams. They are good at some things, and can get a shot at the playoffs, but will most likely be quickly knocked out. If they were in the NFC, I doubt they would even be competing for a shot at the playoffs, much less a Division Championship. IMHO>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom