Best Win Ever Against: Washington (1 Viewer)

That was probably one of our best games in 2017 season and I'd put this comeback close to being in the low end (maybe #8th or #9th) in our franchise's all-time greatest comebacks ever. By all accounts, we should have lost both the 2017 game and our legendary, almost mythical 2009 OT come back @ Washington.

Our 1979 game, OTOH, to certain Saints fans over the age of 60, where our late-70's, "flex defense" rarely for once proved to be effective as we kept Redskins offense out of the end zone like 4-5 times where New Orleans evened their record, IIRC, to 4-4 against a 6-2 Redskins team. Likely one of the Saints best defensive overall performances by that point-blank in its franchise 13-year history.
Nice catch on the ‘79 game. I’ve seen that one on YT at least once. Final was 14-10 and was one of the few times the ‘70s Saints played decent defense in a fairly pivotal game to help Archie out.

Besides the obvious No. 1 of this thread (2009), two others worthy of note were 2017 (the big comeback in the 4th quarter) and 1992 (a win in the Dome on MNF against a Washington team that was the defending champion and a playoff team again that year).

I was at the game, by myself, in a sea of Redskins fans. Lower level, right if front of where the Meach Around took place. I was talking trash the whole game, even when we were way behind. Fans around me were asking if I was worried yet that the Saints were going to lose. I told them no, we were going to win in regulation or if was going to be in OT. Those Washington fans slowly melted away as the Saints mounted their comeback. That missed FG caused a lot of very nasty words around me. That was also the game with the "Unknown Who Dat" fan. He was just a few feet away from me. That was hilarious.

No contest 2009

The famous Meach Around

Pretty sure this was the game where the Skins kicker inexplicably missed a late 20 yard field goal that would have won the game

After the comeback against Miami I knew we were special

After this game I knew we were a team of destiny and it was Super Bowl or bust

Oh man. This is the game where I knew we were going to win the Super Bowl. I remember calling my brother afterwards saying that we were destined to win it all.

The Meacharound was one of the most heads-up plays I've ever seen.
It was so stunning that Washington challenged whether their defender was touched down at the point he caught the interception.

(The most correct call was that the nose of the ball hit the ground enough to be called incomplete altogether, but they wanted the contact on catch challenged, and the refs got that right, as the contact came before the transfer.)

We played like sheet for that entire 2009 game. Even our best play still included an ugly interception.

💯

The Meacharound game in 2009 was great for a lot of reasons due to what went on to occur later in the year, but that 2017 comeback was otherworldly.

Down 15 with only 5:58 left, Brees puts on a surgical clinic going 12/13 for 164 yards and 2 TD’s, the defense forces 3 stops, and Ingram pops off for 20 and 31 yards in overtime to put us in FG range to win it.
Brilliantly stated. Indeed, this is our best win vs the Redskins.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom