Bi-weekly (1 Viewer)

What does Bi-Weekly mean to you

• Bi-weekly = Once every two weeks

Votes: 47 88.7%
  • Bi-weekly = Twice a week

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
Sure, if you subscribe to the theory that context doesn't matter.

People communicate with incorrect, indistinct or unintelligible language all the time. That doesn't mean that they are using it empirically correctly.

It can actually mean both, but colloquial usage is pretty solidly into the every two weeks meaning.

Definition of biweekly

1: occurring twice a week

2: occurring every two weeks

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/biweekly

I liked this write up on it.

Usage note Expand

All words except biennial referring to periods of time and prefixed by bi-1are potentially ambiguous. Since bi- can be taken to mean either “twice each” or “every two,” a word like biweekly can be understood as “twice each week” or “every two weeks.” To avoid confusion, it is better to use the prefix semi- to mean “twice each”

So, it can bean both, but it's better to use semi to mean twice each, so that means it leaves bi-weekly to mean every 2 weeks.

I've seen usage notes that suggest that "bi-weekly" is best avoided altogether because of the inherent ambiguity, while "every two weeks" is clear.

I liked this write up on it.

So, it can bean both, but it's better to use semi to mean twice each, so that means it leaves bi-weekly to mean every 2 weeks.

It's only fitting that using the prefix bi- leaves things ambiguous.

In the context of the payroll, they are used interchangeably.

I actually didn't mean to green thumb you. As an HR director, I can tell you that you are most definitely wrong. They are never used interchangeably. If someone at your job does this, they really shouldn't be touching your payroll.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom