Brees' throwing release (1 Viewer)

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking through the great TC pics from Dubya this morning, I noticed a strange thing about the way Brees releases the football. It defies anything I can come up with for an explanation other than he throws with a backwards spin. Below is a pic from Dubya showing his hand position and direction as the ball is releases. Notice the pinky pointing up and the thumb down as well as the inside of his hand facing out.

DSC_2894.jpg

Here is a similar pic of Harrington's release. Notice his hand position and direction is opposite of that of Brees.

DSC_2962-1.jpg

Last edited:
When you throw a spiral, your hand naturally flicks how Brees' does in those pics. It's no different than if you went outside and threw a good ball with a spiral and had Dubya take pics.

Hand rotates inside on release if Harringtons picture was little later hand would be the same. I Think!

You should probably take notice how close the ball is to either's hands. Brees is already in the air, and Harrington's is just leaving his finger tips.

But, one clear difference is that Brees looks like a man throwing a football. Harrington and his balled up fist looks like a valley girl that doesn't want to break a nail...

Somebody should research some throwing biomechanics.

When I (I not being a professional QB) throws a pass, my hand position ends up like Harrington's. There is no way my hand can end up in the position of Brees' the way I throw a pass. Now I have seen pics of Brees with a "normal" hand postition as he releases but the picture above is not normal.

Unless he really really is Breesus!

I have PhD in Biomechanics...what do you guys want to talk about?

Idk, maybe I can just not twist my arm that far around.

Maybe we can get Dubya to take a few multi-burst shots of his release.

When I (I not being a professional QB) throws a pass, my hand position ends up like Harrington's. There is no way my hand can end up in the position of Brees' the way I throw a pass. Now I have seen pics of Brees with a "normal" hand postition as he releases but the picture above is not normal.

Unless he really really is Breesus!

Hey not saying you throw like a girl or anything but your hand will turn over when you throw the ball with the amount of power and spin that Brees and others throw with the hand automatically goes to that position. (Unless you are like Romo and well throw like a girl)

Try a little experiment. Go outside and throw a ball like normal. Does it spiral but have a little lean to the left. (right handed throwers) Now throw the ball really hard and try to purposely finish with you hand in the same position brees has his in. You will notice that if you do it right, the spiral should be much tighter to your eyes and the point of the ball stays alot straighter. (as in toward the target you are throwing at). I hope that made sense. I sometimes confuse myself.

P.S. Im no QB either, but i did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Thanks Bradley, I am now on the way to the emergency room. I think I tore something in my forearm. :)

haha sorry...i take no responsibility for that. Blame it on the Holiday Inn Express. They made me do it.:covri:

This one is for everyone. How many of you reading this thread actually got up out of your seat and threw the imaginary football? I admit i did.

haha sorry...i take no responsibility for that. Blame it on the Holiday Inn Express. They made me do it.:covri:

This one is for everyone. How many of you reading this thread actually got up out of your seat and threw the imaginary football? I admit i did.

I did make a throwing motion. However I did not get out of my chair. Thats too much like work and I'm on vacation!

Looking through the great TC pics from Dubya this morning, I noticed a strange thing about the way Brees releases the football. It defies anything I can come up with for an explanation other than he throws with a backwards spin. Below is a pic from Dubya showing his hand position and direction as the ball is releases. Notice the pinky pointing up and the thumb down as well as the inside of his hand facing out.

DSC_2894.jpg

Here is a similar pic of Harrington's release. Notice his hand position and direction is opposite of that of Brees.

DSC_2962-1.jpg

I noticed the same thing in those pics. I know the hand naturally rotates when throwing but Brees wrist looks like it is extremely rotated beyond the normal ending position. He must be getting some serious velocity on his throws.

I know nothing about biomechanics, but it seems to me that your fingers, rather than your thumb, are the last to leave the ball, and if you are putting a spiral spin on the ball with your fingers, then your hand naturally rotates inward, with your thumb down.

Pure speculation. Feel free to take your shots. I won't take it personally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom