Bucs release Gerald McCoy (1 Viewer)

I'd love to have McCoy, but the demand for him is aplenty. With limited cap space, I don't see how we can compete.

Agree. If it had been a one-year deal less than $8 million or so, we’d have a lot to offer.

But once you get into double digits or multiple years? Just can’t do it. We need to re-sign our own players.

Well now that McCoy has started visiting teams, it's just a wait and see where he goes next and where we are on that list if he comes for a visit. Hopefully we're last and we can see what all the other teams have offered and make him a fair deal somewhere in the middle. He already knows he'd be playing for a contender here and that could make his decsission easy if he wants to play for a ring before he retires. He may not want to chase the money and prefer a championship instead. I believe we are the better team to get him that championship than all the other teams.

Well now that McCoy has started visiting teams, it's just a wait and see where he goes next and where we are on that list if he comes for a visit. Hopefully we're last and we can see what all the other teams have offered and make him a fair deal somewhere in the middle. He already knows he'd be playing for a contender here and that could make his decsission easy if he wants to play for a ring before he retires. He may not want to chase the money and prefer a championship instead. I believe we are the better team to get him that championship than all the other teams.
The browns have 33 million in capspace and can be considered a contender as well. I don't think he leaves cleveland without a deal. Unless he wants to stick it to Tampa twice he will consider the Saints, which is a good motivation in my book.

So, Gerald wants to win. We came up a stashed flag from being in the SB, have the $ to sign him, give him a chance to play his former team 2 times per year, play with a good friend of his that he trains with in the off season, have a wide open glaring spot on the line for him to play...

So... why do I get the feeling he will be in another uni come August? It just never seems to work out for us even when all signs point to yes.

Ok, so you may need to understand that I nail my colours to the mast pretty clearly in a debate, that's how I am, and that may feel pretty full on. It may be slight cultural dissonance, I had an Australian neighbour whose way of approaching things felt very aggressive to me and I decided it was a cultural norm for him to act like this. So I can empathise and will continue to try to take that into account.

However, I think I can (usually) support my position with reasoned argument that *is* bound in logic, so that's how I'm going to continue to describe myself. If you feel condescended to by that, then I'm afraid I can't help too much other than cut back on the petulance and exasperation, as I apologise for above.

Furthermore, if you want to cite previous posts, it would be nice if you recognised where I come back later and say, fairly and unequivocally, "Yeah, seems I was wrong about that!" Because I think that's what we should all do.

If I can make another request, it would be great not to receive responses that basically say, if you disagree with the majority opinion, then why are you responding to my thread? Because interacting should welcome all input, whether it validates your thoughts or stubbornly disagrees with them.

I still appreciate all the responses I've had in this thread, and the information and debate that goes on in this board. Even if I do come across like some old misery!
Still doesn't excuse the condescending tone or berating other posters. You have good, valid input, but can't resist the urge demean people. It constantly derails threads.

Still doesn't excuse the condescending tone or berating other posters. You have good, valid input, but can't resist the urge demean people. It constantly derails threads.
I couldn’t agree more. He has a history of this, and why I have come very near blocking his posts. I asked if he was British (so I could understand if he was predisposed to act that way), and his answer was “Why, going to bring race into this?”

So I tried to excuse away his rudeness by citing his cultural background, and he gets offended. Now here he is asking to be excused by citing his cultural background.

Last edited:
I'm going to respond by PMs, because it doesn't benefit this thread to carry on replying here.

So evidently McCoy left Cleveland without a contract. Visiting the Ravens next. I take that as a good sign. He's out doing due diligence. Talking to different teams, figuring out what his options are.

Only thing he said so far was that he wants to win and that he'll only sign with a real contender. If that's the case, it does narrow it down some. Although they made the playoffs last year, I don't think anyone considers the Ravens contenders. Also eliminates the Bengals. The Browns look good and if they were to add McCoy, their D-line would be SICK.

It does keep us in the mix though. We've heard that we're one of the interested teams. I'd love to know just how interested we are. To me it's simple. Of every position group on our team, our D-line appears to have taken a step backwards from last season on paper. We lost Davison, Okafor, and Rankins (for the first half of the season at least). We've added Brown, Edwards, and Horton. Brown is an upgrade. I don't think the same can be said about Edwards and Horton.

Bottom line... we're down an borderline elite 3-tech who can rush the passer. Signing McCoy would bring us back to even. We'd still have a question at DE#3, but that's a lot better of a situation than having questions at both DE#3 and DT#1.

I do not usually get over emotional about certain players and whether or not they can help our team. I kind of go with the flow typically. But this is one I am extremely hopeful for, to the point that I’m going to be extremely upset if we don’t sign him.

I laid out all the reasons above.

We have a hole where he would play.
He is friends with Drew.
He wants to win.
He can play his former team twice, and continue to play 2 other teams that he’s studied for for the last 9 years.
We are supposed to be “going all in” for Drew’s last year or two and in “win-now mode”.
When Drew retires, it will free up a significant amount of cap space l. Kick that can down the road like you always do, Mickey.

It is the perfect fit, and I can’t see why either side would let money get in the way. And I know because I feel that way, that I am setting myself up for a huge letdown.

I do not usually get over emotional about certain players and whether or not they can help our team. I kind of go with the flow typically. But this is one I am extremely hopeful for, to the point that I’m going to be extremely upset if we don’t sign him.

I laid out all the reasons above.

We have a hole where he would play.
He is friends with Drew.
He wants to win.
He can play his former team twice, and continue to play 2 other teams that he’s studied for for the last 9 years.
We are supposed to be “going all in” for Drew’s last year or two and in “win-now mode”.
When Drew retires, it will free up a significant amount of cap space l. Kick that can down the road like you always do, Mickey.

It is the perfect fit, and I can’t see why either side would let money get in the way. And I know because I feel that way, that I am setting myself up for a huge letdown.
I here you, those should be the reasons that he would want to sign with us and IMHO we are the better team than the other ones on his list. But I'm like you, if he doesn't sign here, it will sting for a few days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom