Burger King: Women belong in the kitchen (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Oh Burger King, you try so hard

I get the point they are trying to make - that women are underrepresented in professional kitchens

(and I guarantee that a good number if not the vast majority of the men in the kitchen first found their love of cooking from a woman, their mother or grandmother, etc.)

I even get the point of the tweet itself - a take on the old " A woman's place is in the house........and the Senate"

But this tells me that a woman was probably not involved in this decision making process

Well intentioned but tone deaf

Better ways to make this point

=========================

Burger King's attempt to highlight gender disparity in the restaurant industry with a provocative tweet appears to have backfired.

On Monday, which is also International Women's Day, the Twitter account for Burger King UK tweeted "Women belong in the kitchen."

In a series of subsequent threaded tweets, the fast food giant pointed out the lack of female chefs in the restaurant business.

"If they want to, of course," reads a follow-up from Burger King UK. "Yet only 20% of chefs are women. We're on a mission to change the gender ratio in the restaurant industry by empowering female employees with the opportunity to pursue a culinary career."

The chain then highlighted its new scholarship program for female employees to "pursue their culinary dreams!"..............

Burger King UK under fire for tweeting 'Women belong in the kitchen' on International Women's Day (msn.com)

Last edited:
A question mark at the end of the tweet would've made the difference. Or just posing it as a question.

They were almost clever.

Must be nice to have a life so easy that the most challenging thing you have to do all day is shame a person or company for bad phrasing for doing something that anybody can see is perfectly well intentioned

Yeah...burger king should hire only men and make a scholarship just for men. That will make people happy right?

I don't see the problem. They deleted the barefoot and pregnant part.
Ha, that's what I was going to bring up. I can just see them patting themselves on the back for omitting that line, hey, that TOTALLY makes it okay now!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom