Cam Jordan a Better Athlete Than We Think? (1 Viewer)

TruSaint

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at Cam's combine and comparing him with some guys he actually has really good #'s

Cam Jordan: 40: 4.78 Vert: 31" Broad Jump: 117" 3 Cone: 7.07 Shuttle: 4.37
Aldon Smith: 40: 4.78 Vert: 34" Broad Jump: 118" 3 Cone: 7.19 Shuttle: 4.50

Cam: 6"4 287 pounds
Aldon: 6"5 263 pounds

This is pretty impressive, while being as rediculously strong as he is he has the same 40, a slightly lower vertical, about the same vert and a better 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle time than Aldon Smith.

I think Cam will do big things this year in our 3-4 defense.

Looking at Cam's combine and comparing him with some guys he actually has really good #'s

Cam Jordan: 40: 4.78 Vert: 31" Broad Jump: 117" 3 Cone: 7.07 Shuttle: 4.37
Aldon Smith: 40: 4.78 Vert: 34" Broad Jump: 118" 3 Cone: 7.19 Shuttle: 4.50

Cam: 6"4 287 pounds
Aldon: 6"5 263 pounds

This is pretty impressive, while being as rediculously strong as he is he has the same 40, a slightly lower vertical, about the same vert and a better 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle time than Aldon Smith.

I think Cam will do big things this year in our 3-4 defense.
I think he's going to better with Rob Ryan period, only because past player stated that he's a coach that puts players in spots to make plays.

Cam Jordan is a way better athlete than people give him credit for. He was playing out of position in the 4-3, but he is going to BEAST in the 3-4. He even played some OLB at Cal - that's how good of an athlete he is, and he has gotten in better shape after becoming a pro. I expect him to make the pro bowl next year. Lofty goal, but he can reach it.

I thought Cam would be a better pass rusher than he has been thus far. Hopefully that light comes on for him this year.

He's a stud hopefully Rob Ryan can do right by him

He out benched Aldon by five reps and his 3-cone drill and shuttle suggest he has quicker and more explosive feet and can reroute with ease. This is further evidenced by the fact that despite Aldon's overall faster forty time Cam actually beat him in the 10 yard split. They have the tools; it's down to who becomes a greater student of the game.

Edit: They are the same doh none the less

Last edited:
another reason 40 times are over rated, smith is a great pass rusher but had a slower 4.78 forty.

Don't forget, Aldon Smith was basically a DT in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget about the 10 yard split.

Smith: 1.68
Jordan: 1.71

The biggest difference between Jordan and Smith won't show up in the measurements. Smith uses his really good first step to keep tackles on their heels and utilize his elite ability to disengage and shed blocks before tackles can gets a good hold of him.

Jordan is a bit more methodical. He likes to fully engage with the tackle and uses his power to bullrush and only disengages when he's in range to make the play.

Their styles are so different. Smith likes to disengage as soon as possible while using his speed to attack whereas Jordan likes to engage with the tackle and powers his way into the backfield and disengages once he's there.

Don't forget about the 10 yard split.

Smith: 1.68
Jordan: 1.71

The biggest difference between Jordan and Smith won't show up in the measurements. Smith uses his really good first step to keep tackles on their heels and utilize his elite ability to disengage and shed blocks before tackles can gets a good hold of him.

Jordan is a bit more methodical. He likes to fully engage with the tackle and uses his power to bullrush and only disengages when he's in range to make the play.

Their styles are so different. Smith likes to disengage as soon as possible while using his speed to attack whereas Jordan likes to engage with the tackle and powers his way into the backfield and disengages once he's there.
The real difference is that Aldon had Justin Smith taking on double teams all day, while Cam Jordan had protection slide his way because Will Smith is old and slow.

That 4.37 shuttle time is elite for a D-lineman. For comparison, Keenan Lewis ran a 4.4 shuttle.

The real difference is that Aldon had Justin Smith taking on double teams all day, while Cam Jordan had protection slide his way because Will Smith is old and slow.

This. Aldon Smith is wildly overrated by fans because fans only 'evaluate' by looking at the sacks column. Well guess what happened to Aldon Smith's sack numbers when Justin Smith when down with the torn bicep... They disappeared.

Don't get me wrong - Aldon Smith is a talented pass rusher but right now he isn't even the best D-Lineman on his team let alone in the league! Justin Smith makes so many sacks for Aldon Smith it's unreal. There were stats posted here about how many times he was unblocked on his way to the QB last season. It was telling. Personally I'd rather have Von Miller if I was given the choice between the two....

Moral of the story: Cam Jordan will benefit if we can find a few more horses to star in our front seven - just as Aldon Smith benefits from Justin Smith's presence.

This. Aldon Smith is wildly overrated by fans because fans only 'evaluate' by looking at the sacks column. Well guess what happened to Aldon Smith's sack numbers when Justin Smith when down with the torn bicep... They disappeared.

Don't get me wrong - Aldon Smith is a talented pass rusher but right now he isn't even the best D-Lineman on his team let alone in the league! Justin Smith makes so many sacks for Aldon Smith it's unreal. There were stats posted here about how many times he was unblocked on his way to the QB last season. It was telling. Personally I'd rather have Von Miller if I was given the choice between the two....

Moral of the story: Cam Jordan will benefit if we can find a few more horses to star in our front seven - just as Aldon Smith benefits from Justin Smith's presence.
:plus-un2:

Exactly! Football is a team sport. One player may get all the accolades, but in a different scheme, and with different players around him, he may just be another guy. Aldon Smith benefitted greatly from having Justin Smith drawing double teams. They had a stunt, DE/DT twist, where Justin Smith would basically just tie up both OG and OT and let Aldon Smith run un-touched to the QB. Justin Smith is an animal. I just dont see how someone can be that strong, naturally. He is throwing 320 lb. O Lineman around.

Thanks for that. I'm a big Cam Jordan fan, and think he will get better and better. He's 1 of those smooth players that seem to have long, productive careers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom