Article Canal Street Chronicles Article: Building a contract for a WR/TE/RB/FB/Special Teamer who is also your next starting QB (1 Viewer)

I think that I'd probably be exploring a contract with voidable years to be triggered in the event of throwing over a certain number of passes or some other metric that says 'this guy is demonstrably playing QB'.

If the remaining years void after that season, then Taysom is free to negotiate his QB level deal with anyone, so it's in the team's interest to anoint him before end of the year / free agency and he gets his fair market value, with us having first option effectively

Any contract that tries to include higher paying incentive clauses now is disadvantageous, I think, as they still count against the cap* to some degree. So if you offer a bonus clause commensurate with even mid level QB play in case it ever applies, you still have to pay the cap charge on a portion of it, even if it's never activated.

* Unless they are classed as NLTBE or Not Likely To Be Earned. I'm not sure any QB has ever had NLTBE incentives around passing the ball at a mid QB level before! And I don't see the league office letting us have them now... Then again, the distinction between Likely and Not Likely seems to be previous career performance for the player, so who knows?

Last edited:
Option 2 would not work if the new CBA continues all incentives counting vs the cap.

I do like the first option though.

I still can’t help but to think TH woulda been the primary backup the last 2 seasons if CSP were serious about making him successor. Screw his other roles, bring in other guys who actually play those positions so he can focus on being a QB n avoid injury of he’s ur future. And most importantly don’t make TB the highest paid backup

It just don’t add it. I don’t trust anything CSP says when it comes to TH, amongst other things

Option 2 would not work if the new CBA continues all incentives counting vs the cap.

I do like the first option though.
Thanks for this, as I exited after only reading the first option as I thought it was the whole article.

I think the incentives would have to be more nuanced/complex than the article suggests, for the reasons I've put above.

Thanks for this, as I exited after only reading the first option as I thought it was the whole article.

I think the incentives would have to be more nuanced/complex than the article suggests, for the reasons I've put above.

The first example where he actually puts numbers in it wouldn't be bad and the guaranteed is frontloaded with very little guaranteed in the final two years.

The first example where he actually puts numbers in it wouldn't be bad and the guaranteed is frontloaded with very little guaranteed in the final two years.
That's all great, but any player who believes he can start at QB in this league won't take $10m in a future year to do so. That's why I can't really believe in it as an option.

That's all great, but any player who believes he can start at QB in this league won't take $10m in a future year to do so. That's why I can't really believe in it as an option.

I "could" see it in Taysom's situation. I seriously doubt he's thought of as a potential future starting QB by any team other than New Orleans. If that's the case, then 10M is probably shooting too high to begin with.

And "IF" he is thought of as a starting QB by any other team, AND if that team needs a QB, then we'd better get that deal done quick, because a 1st rounder for a starting QB is not a reach.

But honestly, it is extremely likely that we are the only team where he has a chance to become the starter. And I credit much of our interest to Drew's dead cap hit the year after he retires.

I "could" see it in Taysom's situation. I seriously doubt he's thought of as a potential future starting QB by any team other than New Orleans. If that's the case, then 10M is probably shooting too high to begin with.

And "IF" he is thought of as a starting QB by any other team, AND if that team needs a QB, then we'd better get that deal done quick, because a 1st rounder for a starting QB is not a reach.

But honestly, it is extremely likely that we are the only team where he has a chance to become the starter. And I credit much of our interest to Drew's dead cap hit the year after he retires.
The right price is whatever the market will bear, of course. But again, you're not necessarily accounting for the player's own view, and if you saw starting QBs getting $20m plus and you also believe you can be one of those guys, you wouldn't commit yourself to a multi year deal where you're earning less than half of that per year.

If his QB talk is contract posturing, then yes he'll take a lot less. But if Taysom really thinks he is NFL QB material, then he won't.

That's sort of the thing. Taysom doesn't have anything on tape showing he's a starting QB. So if the Saints truly do believe that he is, then it's because of what they've seen in practice, which no other team has seen. So his value is probably much higher to the Saints than it is to other teams. The Saints are in the driver's seat here. No other team is going to throw a bunch of money at a player who had poor accuracy in college and has thrown 17 NFL passes since. At least not as a QB.

The Saints have all of the leverage.

The right price is whatever the market will bear, of course. But again, you're not necessarily accounting for the player's own view, and if you saw starting QBs getting $20m plus and you also believe you can be one of those guys, you wouldn't commit yourself to a multi year deal where you're earning less than half of that per year.

If his QB talk is contract posturing, then yes he'll take a lot less. But if Taysom really thinks he is NFL QB material, then he won't.

Thus the 1st round tender. If a team thinks he's NFL starting QB material, then sending a first to New Orleans and giving him starting QB money is not a reach. I can't believe that Taysom and his agent feel strongly enough about him being viewed as a starting QB by a QB needy team to justify holding out and seeing what happens.

To me, his value as what he is for us now is high enough to ask for a multi-year deal somewhere between 6 and 8 million per year. I REALLY don't see his current value to another team being that high. And there are several QBs making that. If I was Taysom, I'd take a deal in that range, but I'd push for 2 to 3 years instead of 3 to 5.

I still can’t help but to think TH woulda been the primary backup the last 2 seasons if CSP were serious about making him successor. Screw his other roles, bring in other guys who actually play those positions so he can focus on being a QB n avoid injury of he’s ur future. And most importantly don’t make TB the highest paid backup

It just don’t add it. I don’t trust anything CSP says when it comes to TH, amongst other things

I think your forgetting that part where in practice Tayson Hill was showing his overall athletic ability, so much so the Creative Sean Payton had the gumshoe to let Hill actually show his ability on Sunday (coupled with the lack of talent at KR, TE, WR at the time.

Payton always saw him as a talented QB, that's how he discovered him, scouting a receiver for GB and saw Hill performing and took a flyer on him and now he has his Tony Romo.

Thus the 1st round tender. If a team thinks he's NFL starting QB material, then sending a first to New Orleans and giving him starting QB money is not a reach. I can't believe that Taysom and his agent feel strongly enough about him being viewed as a starting QB by a QB needy team to justify holding out and seeing what happens.

To me, his value as what he is for us now is high enough to ask for a multi-year deal somewhere between 6 and 8 million per year. I REALLY don't see his current value to another team being that high. And there are several QBs making that. If I was Taysom, I'd take a deal in that range, but I'd push for 2 to 3 years instead of 3 to 5.
Yeah, I'd take a low ball offer at sub-10m per, but only for 2 years same as you suggest. Again, I don't agree with the option 1 deal in the article as it lacks enough in the latter years for a guy who harbours starting QB ambition (if true).

Anyway, I'm back to voidable years and as many NLTBE incentives as I can get away with as my primary suggestion on how to do this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom