Captain America: Civil War [Warning - Now with Spoilers] (1 Viewer)

Brock Meaux

I'm Batman
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since we're a year out and filming's underway, I figured it was time to give Cap 3 it's own thread.

First new news is a set pic of Frank Grillo in costume as Crossbones. There are closeups of this image available in which you can see that he's severely burned underneath. I dig it. (pictures from justjared.com)

zihj6ZV.jpg

Next is Falcon in his new duds.

RL9IOHH.jpg

And Cap on set. Sticking pretty much to his AOU outfit.

iGKByQr.jpg

It must be awesome to be an actor in a leading or major role in the Marvel Universe right now. They can seem to do no wrong.

Can't wait for this one. I've definitely accepted that the MCU is its own canon, but as a huge fan of the civil war storyline I really wonder how it's going to wrap up nice and neat in only one movie.

I generally like Falcon's new outfit (was this the same one he had at the end of Age of Ultron? The glimpse was so quick that I can't remember), but would like a bit more red. Still, much better than the generic fatigues he wore in Winter Soldier.

Word is that Marvel is referring to this as "Avengers 2.5" at their offices. It's definitely shaping up to be much bigger and with larger plot consequences than the average non-Avengers movies. I'm really looking forward to it.

Here's the reason I'm looking forward to it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RYSgkqc9EWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And that's like the 10th-best scene in the movie. Winter Soldier had, frankly, the tone I was hoping Age of Ultron would have. Cap is also better represented there ability-wise than either Avengers movie or first Cap movie. They were true to the Marvel formula of putting in some humor, but there was a decidedly more adult/serious tone to the movie as a whole. I know there are going to be a ton of characters, and people are worried that the movie will be spread too thin and overstuffed, but if the Russo brothers can bring the same gravitas to Civil War (and Infinity War) that they did to Winter Soldier, then we're yet to see Marvel's best movies.

I have to say, as much as I like Joss Weedon, I really enjoyed the tone the Russo's brought to Winter Soldier. The darker the better which is maybe why I enjoy The Dark Knight trilogy more than the MCU even though I prefer Marvel to DC. MCU needs more Jason Bourne in it.

I'd hate for the MCU to go the way of Nolan's Bat-Movies (of which there is only one truly great one, anyway. Batman Begins is alright but flawed and The Dark Knight Rises is an unmitigated pile of crap.), but I did think that there were too many jokes/one-liners in Age of Ultron. Levity is great, but so much of it in AoU felt forced, like Whedon was going "This dialogue isn't Whedony enough! Gotta have more jokes!" A tone closer to Winter Soldier going forward would be ideal. But not much darker than that. I feel like audiences have started to grow out of that late 90's/early 00's "If it's dark, it's cool and adult," mentality, which is a good thing. Dark and gritty for the sake of dark and gritty is completely without merit. It works for some properties, but not all.

Here's the reason I'm looking forward to it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RYSgkqc9EWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And that's like the 10th-best scene in the movie. Winter Soldier had, frankly, the tone I was hoping Age of Ultron would have. Cap is also better represented there ability-wise than either Avengers movie or first Cap movie. They were true to the Marvel formula of putting in some humor, but there was a decidedly more adult/serious tone to the movie as a whole. I know there are going to be a ton of characters, and people are worried that the movie will be spread too thin and overstuffed, but if the Russo brothers can bring the same gravitas to Civil War (and Infinity War) that they did to Winter Soldier, then we're yet to see Marvel's best movies.

Absolutely agree. The Winter Soldier, in my opinion, allowed audiences to see what a superhero Cap really is. The serious tone and the overall very good acting worked so well in that movie, and it is very difficult for me to find anything to complain about.

I love the juxtaposition of the Winter Soldier and Guardians. Last year was Marvel's best year in the MCU as far as I'm concerned. My favorite MCU movie is GOTG, because it made me feel like a kid, but Marvel's best film has been winter Soldier and I'm very excited to see the Russos taking over the MCU.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PaRrQhLYFSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

While I think I had more fun in GOTG, Winter Soldier is the best Marvel film so far, partially because it was able to affect such a departure and be an espionage film at heart instead of a superhero movie. The script was brilliant and the scenes were shot masterfully.

These little glimpses look awesome. I hope for more of the same. Truly, I expect it to be a political statement film since it's on the Civil War plot. I hope the script is treated as thoughtfully as Winter Soldier was. If it is, I expect a majorly great film.

I know Evans is going to give up the shield soon, but even more than RDJr as Iron Man, I think the embodies his character more than anyone else, and it'll be a real shame once he leaves.

I know Evans is going to give up the shield soon, but even more than RDJr as Iron Man, I think the embodies his character more than anyone else, and it'll be a real shame once he leaves.

Agreed.

While I think I had more fun in GOTG, Winter Soldier is the best Marvel film so far, partially because it was able to affect such a departure and be an espionage film at heart instead of a superhero movie. The script was brilliant and the scenes were shot masterfully.

These little glimpses look awesome. I hope for more of the same. Truly, I expect it to be a political statement film since it's on the Civil War plot. I hope the script is treated as thoughtfully as Winter Soldier was. If it is, I expect a majorly great film.

The writers are Marcus and McFeely, same writers from CA:TWS. Matter of fact, it's the Russos and Marcus and McFeely from her on out with civil war, and Infinity War

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom