Carr’s interception at the end of the game (45 Viewers)

Reaction score
I think it was 84 but he sprinted off line up the middle and was wide open at 5 yards with plenty of YAC available. When Carr went to throw it to him he never looked back. Carr then had rusher come in his face and he knew if he was sacked game pretty much over so he took a chance and fired it to Shaheed who wasn’t looking back for ball either! Had Rasheed looked back he could easily have broken to his left in front of interceptor. Carr was let down by two receivers and three blockers on that play. C and G got beat on a double team in Carr’s face. 83 got beat immediately by rusher to Carr’s left. He could have been hurt badly.

Last edited:
While I understand the pressure he was under and how challenging that situation was, the elite QB’s make a smarter play. Derek Carr looked like the eternal rookie out there choking the game away. I wonder if they let him run the offense for the final drive?
Carr is no Brees. But you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think Brees didn’t have similar moments, trying to make a play in desperate situations.

While I understand the pressure he was under and how challenging that situation was, the elite QB’s make a smarter play. Derek Carr looked like the eternal rookie out there choking the game away. I wonder if they let him run the offense for the final drive?

I disagree with this take. He gave his guy an opportunity to make a clutch play; why would any starting QB expect his emerging star WR to be lolly-gagging, not even looking for the ball in that situation?

I know we all love Shaheed, and he’s one of my favorite players on the team, but if he does what most WRs of his ilk does in those situations and simply pays attention, at absolute worst, it’s an incomplete pass, but more likely, it’s a clutch reception at a critical moment.

Drew Brees did something very similar at the end of the 2018 NFC Championship Game…was that an eternal rookie mistake too?

I disagree with this take. He gave his guy an opportunity to make a clutch play; why would any starting QB expect his emerging star WR to be lolly-gagging, not even looking for the ball in that situation?

I know we all love Shaheed, and he’s one of my favorite players on the team, but if he does what most WRs of his ilk does in those situations and simply pays attention, at absolute worst, it’s an incomplete pass, but more likely, it’s a clutch reception at a critical moment.

Drew Brees did something very similar at the end of the 2018 NFC Championship Game…was that an eternal rookie mistake

Remember that Tampa Bay game when Brees was trying to come from behind and threw an INT... then the next drive threw an INT.

Brees must've had a double eternal rookie mistake then.

Carr is no Brees. But you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think Brees didn’t have similar moments, trying to make a play in desperate situations.
Drew threw similar pressure-related picks many times in his career. He threw big ones in 2018, 2019 and 2020 playoffs.

He also had a 5 int game against Atlanta that broke his TD streak. He pressed that whole game because he was getting pressured and it was a mess. So it’s pretty uncommon for QBs to be there best when they have no protection.

I think it was 84 but he sprinted off line up the middle and was wide open at 5 yards with plenty of YAC available. When Carr went to throw it to him he never looked back. Carr then had rusher come in his face and he knew if he was sacked game pretty much over so he took a chance and fired it to Shaheed who wasn’t looking back for ball either! Had Rasheed looked back he could easily have broken to his left in front of interceptor. Carr was let down by two receivers and three blockers on that play. C and G got beat on a double team in Carr’s face. 83 got beat immediately by rusher to Carr’s left. He could have been hurt badly.
The offensive line got beat up by that Eagles defensive line. Carr had a hard time bidding time in the pocket.

He got blasted and made a bad throw. Is what it is. Happens to every QB in the NFL. The test for him will be if he can shake it off and play well this week.

As to Shaheed, he had a TD in his hands earlier in the game. That's the one he should have caught.

That’s what losing a game looks like. The losing Qb usually throws a desperate pick, most of the time from a Hail Mary play.

Drew Brees did something very similar at the end of the 2018 NFC Championship Game…was that an eternal rookie mistake too?

I don't think Shaheed was lolly-gagging. I think he was running a clear out much like Olave was when Carr called him out last year. Either that or he was running a Fly and not expecting the ball to be thrown short.

Either way, it was a bad read by Carr, a bad throw, and a bad decision to throw it. I get why given the pressure in his face, but it still was the wrong decision. But that happens even to the best QBs. One of Carr's limitations, and it showed yesterday, is his lack of mobility. He couldn't escape the rush in the middle and he couldn't/wouldn't take many of the running opportunities that were there. He's still a solid to good QB, but his limiter is always going to be OL play and the team's ability to run the ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom