Casper Van Dien (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Every time I see the "Casper Matress" thread, I think that it's about about a guy named Casper. It isn't a common name, but one Casper I do know of is Van Dien, who is forever immortalized as Johnny Rico, opposite Denise Richards and Dina Meyer in the craptastic (but emphasis on the 'tastic') film Starship Troopers - a movie that I must watch anytime it is on.

Starship_Troopers.jpg

But what I found most interesting on his page is that he has been married to Catherine Oxenberg since 1999. You may recall her as the hot blonde Amanda Carrington in the 80s tv drama Dynasty.

51aZax83%2BIL._SX342_.jpg

More interestingly, she is the daughter of the Princess of the former Yugoslavia - and by the web of European monarchy, she is supposedly 1375th in line for the throne of England:

She is the eldest daughter of Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia (born 1936) and her first husband Howard Oxenberg (1919–2010), a Jewish dress manufacturer and close friend of the Kennedy family. Princess Elizabeth is the only daughter of Prince Paul of Yugoslavia and Princess Olga of Greece and Denmark. Elizabeth is a first cousin of the current Duke of Kent and also a second cousin of Queen Sofía of Spain and Charles, Prince of Wales, making Catherine a third cousin of Felipe, Prince of Asturias and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge. Catherine is also a great-great-great-granddaughter of Karađorđe, who started the First Serbian Uprising against the Turks in 1804.

Catherine Oxenberg - Polyvore

She also went to Harvard (in the same class as Conan O'Brien). And in looking at all of this, I realized that Casper has got to be quite a bit younger than she is - and, indeed, she is now 53 and he is 46. What a cougar!! By her pedigree, I suspect that she is quite intelligent, while he always struck me as an airhead (after all, he did attend Florida State).

So, what do you think of Starship Troopers? Dynasty? Is Catherine Oxenberg a royal cougar? Is Casper Van Dien dumb?

I will watch Starship Troopers every time it comes on.

The metallic football, the neon violin and that SMOKING HOT READHEAD, Dizzy.

My wife hates sci-fi, but I drug her to Starship Troopers. As soon as the closing credits started rolling, I apologized to her. I still watch it when it is on, but out of all of the ridiculous-ness there is, the military tactics are what bug :)mwink:) me the most. Nuking from space is an option, but we go with a full frontal assault?

And Denise Richards was definitely hot, but I always thought Dina Meyer was very under-rated. Sort of a Ginger vs. Mary Ann. You can't wrong either way.

Funny, every time I see Casper van Dien, I start thinking about mattresses.

Also, I've had a girl crush on Catherine Oxenberg ever since Dynasty, so think about that one.

She also, naturally, played Princess Diana in a TV movie.

I knew they were married. They did a short-lived reality show called "I Married a Princess" about 10 years ago. Cute kids, too (tho only 1 together I think). She, oddly, was married to Robert Evans for a few minutes (and that's only a slight under-exaggeration). And he used to be married to Robert Mitchum's (who was an actor, not a Saints wide receiver) daughter. Both have quite impressive familial legacies.

Uh-oh, I think I'm obsessed with this couple.

you saying Johnny Rico made me think of Johnny Ringo
tombstone03.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lCSFXFHTj7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

you saying Johnny Rico made me think of Johnny Ringo

That raises a new topic of what is Michael Biehn's best role. Obviously, the fan favorite is going to be Reese in the Terminator. So maybe the question is better stated as what is his second-best role? Ringo? He was also pretty good in Aliens and the Abyss.

Actually, if you consider the body of work, he is sort of like a rich man's Casper Van Dien.

That raises a new topic of what is Michael Biehn's best role. Obviously, the fan favorite is going to be Reese in the Terminator. So maybe the question is better stated as what is his second-best role? Ringo? He was also pretty good in Aliens and the Abyss.

Actually, if you consider the body of work, he is sort of like a rich man's Casper Van Dien.

I vote Ringo, but I also liked this from The Rock:

"Make no mistake, gentlemen. We are in the fight of our lives, against one of the greatest battalion commanders of the Vietnam War, I **** you not."

Hicks was his best role. "We nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Hicks was his best role. "We nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

That would be Bill Paxton, and somewhere Bill Paxton should shuttered in pain and terror that someone confused him with Casper Van Dien.

Sidenote: this thread is the most attention Casper Van Dien has gotten in 10 years.

That would be Bill Paxton, and somewhere Bill Paxton should shuttered in pain and terror that someone confused him with Casper Van Dien.

Sidenote: this thread is the most attention Casper Van Dien has gotten in 10 years.

I think he was talking about the Michael Biehn question (and referring to his role in Aliens) - this thread's content is a rich tapestry.

I think he was talking about the Michael Biehn question (and referring to his role in Aliens) - this thread's content is a rich tapestry.

Yeah, my bad. I somehow misread Hicks as Hudson. And actually, I believe my mind was polluted by the fact that he actually looks fairly Bill Paxton-like in that picture.

Anyway, Bill Paxton is great. That's all I got.

Well, that and I've always believed Michael Biehn deserved a better career than the one he got post-James Cameron partnerships. But supposedly he had some issues that didn't help things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom