CJGJ 2019…… (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Wanted to touch on a thread about his great plays, since he mentioned he’s gained the reputation of a talker instead of a great nickel in the media.

I think he’s both.

However, flash back to 2019 (his rookie season) and I’ll tell you two plays that made me think we’ve got a junkyard dog player here.

Game 1. Houston scores on a bomb with under a minute to go to tie it at 27.
On the PAT, he misses because the incredible hustle and full lay out dive by CJ forced the kick wide right.
However, he tumbled into the kicker, who fell like a soccer player…..penalty, rekick, good 28-27 Houston.
110% effort caused the miss…..yet resulted in a penalty. He was devastated and the shots of him on the sideline were rough, but players were consoling him. You could tell how badly he wanted it….and his extra effort might lead to the L.
Then three Drew plays later, and a 50 plus FG by Wil at the buzzer, Saints win 30-28.

Drew gets hurt and Teddy enters.

2. Home night game 4 vs Dallas.

Up 12-10, Dallas is at midfield for a Hail Mary.
As Dak drops back to set the Hail Mary, 22 is shot out of a cannon, avoids all blockers, and forces Daks last ditch throw well before WRs were down the field, the ball can only make it to the 20….play completely blown up by CJ.

As the bench is celebrating, Drew comes running out straight to CJ and jumps on him in celebration.

It was an individual play that could have gone unnoticed….but I knew then we had an absolute nasty baller in 22.

Throughout his rookie season, I was thinking "We might have a player here." but when Vonn Bell got hurt and CJ got the start week 15 against the Colts, he proved it.

Look at CG’s interview today. The way he talks about a super bowl just gets me so hyped. He is as locked in as ever

Was it the game vs Dak where they snuck him off the corner and then proceeded to do it repeatedly till the final play?

The MAN is a tackling machine. He’s good/great in coverage but if he gets 1 on 1 with a RB he’s bringing them down with good technique. I haven’t been able to make a open to the public practice in a few years but I would love to see the matchup with him against AK.

Gardner-Johnson is effectively the Saints second most important cornerback. Traditional NFL logic would put the slot corner below either of the outside corners because the slot corner was not a starter. That changed a long time ago. Gardner-Johnson is one of the best in the league at what he does and should be the second highest paid corner back on this team. We have rookie contracts at number 2. Roby is likely a cap cut or trade candidate after or during this season with Taylor drafted. The Roby trade made sense at the time with Lattimore suspension possible, Janoris Jenkins gone, Patrick Robinson retired, and Adebo as a rookie that had never seen the field. Gardner Johnson is the glue of Dennis Allen's secondary in versatility. In Mathieu, Maye, Taylor, and Gardner-Johnson we see a blue print of a former secondary coach, defensive coordinator, now head coach valuing versatile can do everything safety/slot corners. Pay that man his money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom