Clinton nixes idea of serving on Supreme Court; chance of another run for President -- "probably zero" (1 Viewer)

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Posted: 02:11 PM ET

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

(CNN) — It’s a question that arose even before Hillary Clinton abandoned her presidential bid four months ago: What's next for the junior senator from New York?

Definitely not a spot on the Supreme Court, and likely not a bid to be Senate Majority Leader or President of the United States, she told Fox News Tuesday.

Asked directly about rumors she may have her eye on the bench, Clinton said there was “zero” chance of that happening: "I have no interest in doing that," she said, laughing.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/14/clinton-nixes-idea-of-serving-on-supreme-court/

She would never be confirmed on the Court anyway.

(Not an attack against Hillary, she just doesn't have the bench experience or pedigree).

Asked directly about rumors she may have her eye on the bench, Clinton said there was “zero” chance of that happening: "I have no interest in doing that," she said, laughing.

Translation: "If Barack doesn't nominate me for the Supreme Court, I'm going to start staging suicides again."

I could see her doing the Senate thing and going for one last shot in eight years.

A cabinet position would be a tough call for her. I believe she feels that she does have one last run in her and I get the vibe that she honestly doesn't think Obama will make an effective President so she doesn't want to be that tied to him.

Unless she runs for governor of New York (or mayor of New York City) at some point to get that much ballyhooed "executive experience", it looks like the Senate will remain her home.

She is saying exactly the right thing here--whether or not she means it. She is being sufficiently supportive of Obama to satisfy the party, and she continues to set herself up for a senior position in the Senate leadership, which is probably her highest and best calling anyway.

I don't know if she wants to be on the Supreme Court or not, but I certainly don't think she's unqualified--Earl Warren had no judicial experience either, nor did Lewis Powell, William O. Douglas, Hugo Black, etc.. I think the Court greatly benefits from a diversity of backgrounds and would be a better court with a member or two who are not career judges. This goes equally for conservatives and liberals. The court greatly benefitted from Powell's business experience, and from Sandra O'Connor having a state poltical and judicial background rather than simply being a creature of the federal courts. At one time there was a lot of support for Orrin Hatch, and though his politics are not mine, I still think he would have been a better addition to the court than some of the actual GOP choices.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom