Clock management (1 Viewer)

7throundpick

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
On our last drive, there were several times where we had the opportunity to run time off the clock. Receivers falling out of bounds instead of leaning into the field, a delay of game that pushed us back forcing us to throw, Drew getting rid of the ball out of bounds on the last play instead of falling in bounds, which saved the Ravens a timeout and gave them an extra play before the 2 minute warning.

I know it's hard to think of this stuff on the spot, but we need to realize that in an offense leaning league, controlling the clock can be as important as getting the next 1st down. Clock management needs to be addressed going forward.

All that being said. Great win!!

Agree 100%, but usually we are somewhat good at clock management, so I’m not too worried about it. Especially since we got the W

Arnold couldn’t help it.
He was securing the catch, which was most important.
Once he regained composure and had the ball secured (all in a split second) he was being pushed OOB.

Tayson could have slid.

And Drew could have too.

I wanted to post a thread about this too. I believe this will get addressed this week. What a game! Coach Payton is going for it this year. Today he knew it would be tough, hes thinking ahead for home field advantage already! Your the man coach!

Drew did the right thing throwing it away. That would've been a tougher kick for Lutz with the wind even if it was just a few yards.

Taysom Hill did the correct thing too, picking up the first down by taking the angle towards the sideline.Picking that up was much more important than keeping the clock going. Daryl Johnston, in mentioning it, just added to his vast collection of self created idiotic blabber.

Yeah, it’s true that some of those plays might have been played correctly, but overall I believe we can run more time off the clock in key moments like that.

i get the sense that SP changed his approach to late game management
he doesn't seem to adjust that much and i'd guess he coaches the players to (within reason) play regular

i get the sense that SP changed his approach to late game management
he doesn't seem to adjust that much and i'd guess he coaches the players to (within reason) play regular

Maybe the offense, but the D sure plays differently.

Drew did the right thing throwing it away. That would've been a tougher kick for Lutz with the wind even if it was just a few yards.
Yeah, Lutz barely squeezed that field goal by the left upright. I don't think it was weather related and more of a pull, but a couple of yards farther could have resulted in a miss or hit the upright.

Time management isn't something you can control with the flick of a switch. It's the ebb and flow of games.

We didn't let the game snowball out of control like 49ers game in 2011.

We got the ball with 3:19 left and the Ravens only had one timeout. We should have been able to run the game out without either of those last two scores (our FG and their TD). Somehow we managed two first downs, only used up a minute of clock time, didn't force the Ravens to use their timeout and also gave them the ball back before the two minute warning.

Definitely could have done a better job in that regard.

Actually the Ravens had three timeouts remaining when the Saints got the ball with 3 minutes and 19 seconds left. Key to not putting the game away was the first down delay of game penalty. Timeout should have been taken there. Saints get another first down if they have 10 yards to gain on first down rather than 15.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom