Coleton Beck - VT - UDFA Rookie Mini Camp Invitee (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Every year there are exceptional athletes that aren't drafted for one reason or another but have some qualities that are intriguing enough to get a tryout with an NFL team.

Coleton Beck is one of those players in 2024.

Coleton "Cole" Beck has been invited to attend the Saints Rookie Mini Camp as an undrafted free agent rookie out of Virginia Tech. He's also been invited to attend the Jets and Falcons rookie mini camps. What this young man has is Speed and Plenty of it. At the VT Pro day scouts clocked Beck at 4.28 and 4.32. He was coming off of a shoulder injury that ended his 2023 season and had only trained for about a month. As an ACC Champion and 2-Time Outdoor Track All-American and dual Football Athlete, he wasn't disappointed, but he thought that it wasn't good enough as he had hoped to run as low as 4.1. Are You Kidding Me?

Beck was a track and football star in high school out of Blacksburg, Va. His football highlight from there includes a number of runs that are jaw dropping legendary types. You have to watch those videos. They're incredible. He was primarily a running back but also played defense and returned kicks. His field vision is exceptional. He sets up blocks extremely well. He breaks tackles. He can jump cut. He has some moves. He can reverse direction. His stop and go speed is exceptional. He runs right by defenders and easily runs around them. He was a 2-time state champion in multiple events including the 100- and 200-meter dash and the 4x100 relay. He placed 2nd in the 100 meters in the New Balance National meet. On the gridiron he produced 4,723 rushing yards, 6,027 total yards and 81 touchdowns during his career at Blacksburg High School … Rushed for more than 1,900 yards and scored 32 touchdowns as a senior playing for head coach Thad Wells … Helped lead the Bruins to a 10-5 record in 2016 and the 3A football state championship … A New Balance Outdoor All-American and a 13-time state champion in track at Blacksburg HS.

Beck went to Virginia Tech where he played football as well as running track. I'm not sure why his football playing time or numbers didn't translate from HS to College. Maybe it was coaching or a fit in the program. He had some injuries. He only played 2 seasons of football with limited opportunities. He excelled in track to the point that he holds the VT record in the 100 meters with a blazing time of 9.87 seconds. That's meters, not yards. That is one of the all-time fastest in college history.

At 6' 0" and 190 pounds he is viewed as an athlete more than a position player for now. However, his best fit would be in the return game and on special teams and a developmental player on offense as a receiver and/or running back. On offense he could start off as a WR taking jet sweeps and WR screens. If he gets by the first line of defense nobody will catch him from behind. He's that fast!

He states that his first love is football and has dreamed of playing in the NFL since he was a kid but he also says no matter what happens with his football career he still intends to pursue track as a pro as well.

Entering the NFL Beck may be the Fastest Football player in the league. He's been dubbed "the fastest white dude in history". There's an old saying that you can't teach speed. That's one thing that Beck doesn't have to learn. He's got it. This young man is also smart and determined. He has a bachelor's degree in apparel, housing, and resource management along with a master's degree in building construction science management.

From His Wikipedia Page:

In February 2023, he lowered his 60m personal best to 6.57 seconds in Louisville.[5] In May 2023, in Jacksonville at the NCAA East trials he ran a wind-assisted 9.87 seconds 100 metres, leading him to be dubbed “the fastest white dude in history”.[6] After the race he used his Twitter account to call himself the “fastest footballer” and tagged NFL receiver Tyreek Hill, being quoted in The Roanoke Times that he would “love to race him”.[7] At the NCAA Championships held in Texas in June 2023, Beck ran a legal 9.97s in the 100m heats to break his own school record and officially break the 10-second barrier.[8]

The Highlights In The Video Below Are Worth The Watch:

Ecxerpts From The Article Below Which Has An In Depth Interview:

"I realized at a young age that, if you want to be great, you can’t do what everyone else does, go on vacation and party and think you have time. There’s no such thing as that. You got zero time to waste to be great in this athletic career."

"I’m determined to make an impact. I don’t care where they put me: out blocking, returning and tackling, blocking punts, it doesn’t matter. I just want the opportunity to be able to give my best opportunity for myself and for the team I play for: simple as that. It doesn’t matter if I play receiver, play running back, or heck, I just go out there and catch kick returns. I like whatever it is. I want to perform at the highest level to make me and my team succeed."

Always intrigued to see how well straight speed translates to the football field. There have been many track stars in the NFL and only a few have ever developed into legit football players. I think it’s because with running that fast you have to focus strictly on form, where as in football there is so many other things you have to focus on like catching or holding onto the ball, a huge defender about to knock you out. There’s also the lateral component of changing direction and having tight hips.

It took Devery a few years to get consistent with catching the ball. Trindon Holliday was just to tiny. The Cowgirls had a track star WR back in the 80’s or 90’s who had issues catching also. Tyreek Hill seems to be the super star track guy I can think of that has just dominated.

I hope this kid can pull it off since it is his dream and if so happens to be with the Saints well then 🥳💰

Always intrigued to see how well straight speed translates to the football field. There have been many track stars in the NFL and only a few have ever developed into legit football players. I think it’s because with running that fast you have to focus strictly on form, where as in football there is so many other things you have to focus on like catching or holding onto the ball, a huge defender about to knock you out. There’s also the lateral component of changing direction and having tight hips.

It took Devery a few years to get consistent with catching the ball. Trindon Holliday was just to tiny. The Cowgirls had a track star WR back in the 80’s or 90’s who had issues catching also. Tyreek Hill seems to be the super star track guy I can think of that has just dominated.

I hope this kid can pull it off since it is his dream and if so happens to be with the Saints well then 🥳💰
This kid basically has zero college football experience. However, if you take a look at the first video in the OP of his High School football film you will see he has a whole lot more than straight line speed to his game.

VT grad here.

Two separate staffs at VT couldn’t find a way to make Beck’s speed translate to football. I would love it if the Saints somehow unlocked it. But the odds are stacked pretty high.

Fast but there are plenty of track guys that can’t play football. He has almost zero college football experience, instead concentrating on track. Best he could probably do is hope to catch on a practice squad. He has also said he plans on doing both and not concentrating solely on football, that doesn’t bode well for his chances either.

The new kickoff rule is going to change the roster composition of every NFL team. Teams will more than likely carry 3 returners, 2 for KR to be on the field at the the same time and a PR, so at least 2, but maybe 3. Then you have to factor in the gunners and their increasing importance. Guys like this might have more of a chance now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom