Concern about offense (1 Viewer)

Jameis didn’t call for protection once all game. He just hiked the football. Best believe that Belicheck watched the film and will see what we saw. I’ll be back to hear excuses for Winston next week if he presses and throws left handed passes and interceptions again.
Not all QBs call the line protections. It may not have been Jameis’ job to do so.

And if it was Jameis’ job to do so and he was still not doing it and the result we saw was because of that fact- then why didn’t coach pull Winston for Taysom?

Of course, Belicheck will be copying what Carolina did and likely with more disguises and confusion inducing movements and alignments - he’d be stupid not to.

But I ask this earnestly…if the line issues Sunday were because Jameis didn’t change protections at the line - why did coach allow it to continue for 4 quarters and not replace him?

I believe it’s because there were numerous factors to blame for the massive protection failings on Sunday. Jameis taking risky throws didn’t help matters - but he had zero time to do anything.

This is essentially the same offensive line that Brees played with. They never looked atrocious. Brees played without weapons in some games last year. Is Carolina that much better?

This is essentially the same offensive line that Brees played with. They never looked atrocious. Brees played without weapons in some games last year. Is Carolina that much better?
If this was the same O line that Brees played with, I’d REALLY b POed right about now! 😡😡😡

But it isn’t.

Not only were we missing our starting C in Erik McCoy, but during the offseason, SP had assigned him the responsibility of making the all O line calls this year. His backup this year at C was gonna b Wil Clapp. Unfortunately, by the opener, Clapp had already been placed on IR ( 3 weeks). So when McCoy went down early against GB, Cesar Ruiz had to move over to C, n Throckmorton took his spot at RG. So basically, we went into Carolina with our backup RG, n our 3rd string C as starters.

Is Carolina’s D better this year? Talent wise, probably. Are they better coached? Absolutely! They knew about our issues with the changes on the O line, the coaches being out, n this bein only Winston’s second start. So they took complete advantage!

TBH, I know it’s still early in the season, but I think this game against NE will be a VERY IMPORTANT ONE!

Of course, I want us to WIN!

However, wat I wanna see MOST is how this team responds after gettin its arse handed to it last week!

Until then, there’s a few things to keep an eye on this week:

The injury report: Hope to see a better one this week, esp with D players!

The COVID report: Hope to see all the coaches back!

Personnel moves: Do we sign anybody or bring up anybody off the PS ( Kenny Stills?)

Lineup changes: Will there be any? Specifically, will CSP insert newly signed Austin Reiter at C?

Stay tuned.

With a longer season this year, it’ll b even more of a marathon than a sprint. All I wanna see for now is 1) to stay healthy n get healthier 2) to get/play better n 3) to go into the bye at 3-2…r better.

We’ll see!

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

If this was the same O line that Brees played with, I’d REALLY b POed right about now! 😡😡😡

But it isn’t.

Not only were we missing our starting C in Erik McCoy, but during the offseason, SP had assigned him the responsibility of making the all O line calls this year. His backup this year at C was gonna b Wil Clapp. Unfortunately, by the opener, Clapp had already been placed on IR ( 3 weeks). So when McCoy went down early against GB, Cesar Ruiz had to move over to C, n Throckmorton took his spot at RG. So basically, we went into Carolina with our backup RG, n our 3rd string C as starters.

Is Carolina’s D better this year? Talent wise, probably. Are they better coached? Absolutely! They knew about our issues with the changes on the O line, the coaches being out, n this bein only Winston’s second start. So they took complete advantage!
The only new player is Throckmorton. I know the center changed, so the protection calls are hurt. That is a tactical error on Payton’s part, because that responsibility should stay with the QB, because linemen get hurt more often. Regardless, Ruiz should’ve also been training on line calls, so even though McCoy may be better at it, protection calls shouldn’t have fallen off a cliff.

I think those are factors, but a QB reading the defense and using his hot reads alleviates all of that. My point is that while the offensive line deserves blame, Winston does as well.

What's concerning is that our game 2, looked just like our past few years, just worse withJameis not knowing our audibles yet. If we get this fixed, ball out into the playoffs...and then stall again like this in the playoffs...

Brees could absolutely be exonerated.
It is much more likely that we don't make the playoffs at all....which also exonerates Brees.

so you look for a weak point and apply pressure there? that's crazy enough to work

no offense is bullet proof - there will be chinks in any armor and if the defense has the right personnel and calls, the defense will win
to me this game felt like the 'welcome back to the dome Fujita game' - he knew all of the pressure points and exploited them
What's crazy is that Cleveland team just beat the Patriots I think the week before. It was either directly before or after.

I was told by many esteemed elite armchair GM's on this very forum that noodle arm Brees was holding the team back and the deep ball was the solution.
What if it’s not an either/or. What if we need both a credible deep threat to back safeties out of the box and give our run game a numbers advantage, and a credible commitment to the run to keep defenses honest instead of always pinning back their ears against our O line?

I know we're looking to fill time as we wait for our next game, but last weeks game was the result of terrible OL play. That's. If we come out and beat NE, it'll be because the OL was embarassed and play like they did Week 1.

Brees in his prime was good enough to overcome units playing bad. Jameis, as of now, isn't. So when he plays lights out it'll be because the OL played well. When he looks bad, it'll be because the OL played bad.

I was told by many esteemed elite armchair GM's on this very forum that noodle arm Brees was holding the team back and the deep ball was the solution.
its all good. All we really need to guarantee wins is to draft a Pat Mahomes. that way we just cant lose!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom