Dallas Mayor's Race and voter apathy. (1 Viewer)

Broadmoor74

Yeah you rite
Reaction score
Louisiana...the greatest 3rd world country in the
Last updated: May-12-2007 11:23 PM Central Daylight Time

DALLAS MAYOR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PRECINCTS REPORTING: 577 Of 577 100%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winner Candidate Incumbent Votes Vote %
TOM LEPPERT 19,360 26%
ED OAKLEY 14,746 21%
DON HILL 9,892 14%
MAX WELLS 8,690 12%
GARY GRIFFITH 6,653 9%
SAM COATS 5,470 8%
DARRELL JORDAN 4,054 6%
ROGER HERRERA 972 1%
JENNIFER GALE 553 1%
JOHN CAPPELLO 501 1%
EDWARD OKPA 427 1%

I only post this because, according to the totals here, only about 13-14% of the total population of registered voters in Dallas actually excercized their right. It upsets me because I constantly hear people in and around Dallas raggin' on New Orleanians for making idiotic mayoral choices.

This seems embarrassingly low for a major city...or for any city in that matter. Does this type of voter apathy exist elsewhere in the country?

P.S. This candidate list is also interesting because Jennifer Gale is a homeless transsexual former Marine who had around $45 of campaign contributions and he/she DIDN'T finish last. Think John Cappello and Edward Okpa will rethink their decisions to enter into politics? :shrug:

WOW! We got hit by a hurricane and had higher voting percentages than that. That's the lowest I've ever heard of for a major American city.

Thanks for posting.

I only post this because, according to the totals here, only about 13-14% of the total population of registered voters in Dallas actually excercized their right. It upsets me because I constantly hear people in and around Dallas raggin' on New Orleanians for making idiotic mayoral choices.

This seems embarrassingly low for a major city...or for any city in that matter. Does this type of voter apathy exist elsewhere in the country?

13-14% actually beat the estimates by 2%. Hahahaha. The real election is next month.

P.S. This candidate list is also interesting because Jennifer Gale is a homeless transsexual former Marine who had around $45 of campaign contributions and he/she DIDN'T finish last. Think John Cappello and Edward Okpa will rethink their decisions to enter into politics? :shrug:

The sad part is Jennifer Gale would probrably be a better candidate than any candidate New Orleans will see.

It may be low because the voters know that the Mayor of Dallas has no real power to do anything,

It may be low because the voters know that the Mayor of Dallas has no real power to do anything,

Except lose the Cowboys to Arlington. :covri:

Except lose the Cowboys to Arlington. :covri:

That is what killed Laura Millers career.

JJones had a brilliant idea to build the Cowboys stadium in Fair Park. It would have been the new Cotton Bowl, hosted the Red River shootout, hosted an eventual Superbowl and provided a destination that would have completed revived Fair Park.

Jones is doing the exact same thing right down the road from the Rangers Ballpark and Six Flags. Arlington is going to be raking in the tax revenues and they are on the hook for exactly half the costs. Jones is on the hook for the other half and any cost overruns.

That is what killed Laura Millers career.

JJones had a brilliant idea to build the Cowboys stadium in Fair Park. It would have been the new Cotton Bowl, hosted the Red River shootout, hosted an eventual Superbowl and provided a destination that would have completed revived Fair Park.

Jones is doing the exact same thing right down the road from the Rangers Ballpark and Six Flags. Arlington is going to be raking in the tax revenues and they are on the hook for exactly half the costs. Jones is on the hook for the other half and any cost overruns.

Yep. She was also against building the AAC and Victory Park to replace Reunion.

On the other hand, Philadelphia, of all places, just had a great mayor's race to replace two-term do-nothing Mayor Street. Five Demo candidates (three black, two white), ran in general a pretty clean race, and the two reform candidates got 61% of the vote. Michael Nutter, African American policy wonk and goody-two-shoes former City Councilman, won the primary over a self-funded businessman and former deputy mayor. Two congressmen and a state senator couldn't crack the top two.

Interesting that the guy who won was openly in favor of a stop-and-frisk policy because, as he said, "I have a civil right not to get shot" and got lots of white votes, while both white candidates had actually pretty decent black support yesterday.

Very, very strange day in city politics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom