dead money kills us again (1 Viewer)

Eh. Not really.

The bill always comes due. But you can always make room if there’s someone you want badly enough.

In this case, we actually had space if we wanted to make a move. But what was the obvious spot to upgrade? You would need someone who is such a significant talent upgrade that it also makes up for a lack of familiarity in the system.

And with the future QB situation up in the air, do you really want to spend a few million bucks on a depth player now? Or have that $ more readily available for base salary up front if you add a QB via FA or trade?

This is mainly Armstead, who if he had resigned this would have been pushed forward and Drew Brees who was part of trying to maximize a hall of fame quarterback window. I do not fault Loomis for any dollar paid to either of those two players who were two of the Saints' best.

Eh. Not really.

The bill always comes due. But you can always make room if there’s someone you want badly enough.

In this case, we actually had space if we wanted to make a move. But what was the obvious spot to upgrade? You would need someone who is such a significant talent upgrade that it also makes up for a lack of familiarity in the system.

And with the future QB situation up in the air, do you really want to spend a few million bucks on a depth player now? Or have that $ more readily available for base salary up front if you add a QB via FA or trade?

Hopefully we don't want anybody bad enough to keep restructuring contracts and pushing more dead money down the road. This is what got us in this situation.

Hopefully we don't want anybody bad enough to keep restructuring contracts and pushing more dead money down the road. This is what got us in this situation.
We did it to maximize a franchise QB’s window. You do that 10 times out of 10.

If we’re fortunate enough to find another one, then I would hope and pray we’d do the exact same thing.

The average team has 26M in dead money. We were the 7th most with 36M in September and 9th most (see Over the Cap) as of yesterday, maybe. These teams making last minute trades may climb ahead of us on that list.

The problem is the league high 56M we are over the cap for next year. We can’t be sellers and don’t have picks/cap to be buyers. We will be forced to extend players with guaranteed money and make the following year’s cap just as bad. We will over pay for aging players while losing young talent, see this offseason. This is a recipe for a slow decline, especially without a QB on a rookie deal.

I think all the hand-wringing about the salary cap is overblown. I’m not saying the Saints are in ideal shape, but one big reason they haven’t been in an ideal position to pay for big contracts is the fact that the team won the division and we were playoff regulars for four years with multiple deep playoff appearances.

Plenty of fans complained about losing players like CGJ, T. Hendrickson, Vonn Bell, etc, but I had no issue spending money and other assets to chase another ring with Drew.

What’s really hamstrung the team is giving up draft picks for assets. I can see a few off-season trades to restore some of those picks, but giving up picks I think is a bigger issue than the salary cap.

Are we really talking about the cap after shutting out the raiders?
I think it’s because we weren’t able to make a splashy trade on the eve of the deadline because of money issues.

At 3-5 though, despite the putrid division, I’m glad we aren’t gambling on a trade. Even if he had the cash, I prefer when we stay out of the trade stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom