dead money kills us again (1 Viewer)

The average team has 26M in dead money. We were the 7th most with 36M in September and 9th most (see Over the Cap) as of yesterday, maybe. These teams making last minute trades may climb ahead of us on that list.

The problem is the league high 56M we are over the cap for next year. We can’t be sellers and don’t have picks/cap to be buyers. We will be forced to extend players with guaranteed money and make the following year’s cap just as bad. We will over pay for aging players while losing young talent, see this offseason. This is a recipe for a slow decline, especially without a QB on a rookie deal.
It’s only a recipe for a slow, steady decline if you extend the wrong players and scout/draft/sign players poorly.

Two of our first three picks look like home runs, and a third could turn out to be really good, too. Not to mention Shaheed and the guys who are on IR.

This ain’t the same old Saints of the 70s-90s organizationally. Maybe it’s worth seeing how they attack perceived issues before predicting doom and gloom.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s my black and gold glasses, but I think this team, if healthy, can play with anyone.
They can absolutely beat anyone in the NFC. Philly is the only team I’d say is definitively better than a healthy Saints team that isn’t committing ridiculous penalties and turning it over. And even then, any given Sunday.

No big deal. Mickey can “make it happen”. So what if making it happen equates to digging the hole deeper and wider.
It’s like maxing out the $5k limit on your credit card, and rolling that balance to your new $9k credit card. Then you max out that credit card, and roll that balance on to your new $15k credit card, and you proceed to max that out. You never pay off any of those cards, you just roll your balances to a new card even though ultimately you are going to have to pay off all that debt.

But hey, at least you are showing those credit cards you aren’t afraid to utilize a credit card.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s my black and gold glasses, but I think this team, if healthy, can play with anyone.
Fact: if we don’t turn the ball over, don’t have dumb penalties, then yes we can beat anyone. I don’t think we’re a team anyone circles as, “yep, that’s an easy win”. I’ve seen it all in my years of watching this game. We can be the 07’ Giants. We just have to be the 07’ Giants.

After all of the recent interviews i've watched SP do.(Kay Adams, the Herd, WDSU,etc...)It sounds to me like he's looking for another situation like he had here in NOLA. Great ownership(Ms. Gayle, will give anything to keep winning ways), great GM(Loomis is a salary cap genius and SP's best friend) It seems to me that if he wants $20mil per year? Ms. Gayle will give it to him to come back! He will never find a better situation anywhere than right here! I say let him do what he wants for a while, but i think he may end up back here in NOLA. Then again maybe not........................

It’s like maxing out the $5k limit on your credit card, and rolling that balance to your new $9k credit card. Then you max out that credit card, and roll that balance on to your new $15k credit card, and you proceed to max that out. You never pay off any of those cards, you just roll your balances to a new card even though ultimately you are going to have to pay off all that debt.

But hey, at least you are showing those credit cards you aren’t afraid to utilize a credit card.
Except imagine that each of those credit cards has a negative interest rate that gets more and more favorable every year

The team currently atop the Saints' division has almost $79 Million in dead cap this year per Sportrac.

It's important, but not make all break all, and as others have pointed out, the Saints are not too far off the league average.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom