Did Kamara prove he is a lead back? (1 Viewer)

That´s because the team was patient with him and developped him slowly. It´s another reason why it would be a shame to see him finish his career elsewhere, but I think it still is 50/50 at best he stays next year. I mean, the team got rid of Sproles because he was costing them something like 2 mil and they wanted to clear cap space. That tells you a lot about how much they've valued the position in the past.
I think they were using the Belichick "get rid of them a year early rather than a year too late" method with Sproles and he just lasted longer than they projected. At the same time, like I believe it was you who noted, that was when we were a three man rotation. It's a little different when it's just two backs and they're both pro bowlers.

The committee approach is both good and bad. It preserves their careers and gives defenses more to plan for. However, if someone wants to be great they know it will never happen that way. I wonder if it cause Kamara to explore his options when his contract is up? The only way to get records is to have the ball enough to get the production.
If he wasn't putting up receiving numbers better than half the receivers in the league, maybe this point would be valid. He can get all the records he wants on this team, much like the records Sproles broke.

All purpose yards in a game/season
Most games with a rushing and receiving TD
Consecutive games with 100 yards from scrimmage

I could go on...

And that's just three off the top of my head. Kamara is the prototype for the new RB in the NFL. Runs inside and out and can run all the routes in the route tree - reliably.

I think rather than the "committee", the '06 Deuce/Reggie backfield was very similar to the current Ingram/Kamara. Obviously not as effective. Stecker was the "fill in" back. Coach may be just finally getting the pair he's lusted after. Deuce's decline was the reason we went to a 3 back rotation & bringing in more weapons(Thomas, Bell, Ivory, Sproles).

A

SP likes to have different backs to use for specific purposes. He likes a power back. He likes a screen guy. He likes a guy he can move around to create mismatches. Some people have said that this wasn't by design and it was a result of not having one back that could do it all. While there could be some truth to that I think SP has used the committee approach because he's had so many good backs who were great at different things.

With the success SP has had with this approach I don't see him changing it. I think ideally he wants to use AK in tandem with another back. It's the smart play imho. It keeps AK fresh and explosive. It creates huge problems for defenses schematically because they have to prepare for two different backs. Almost two different offenses when you think about it. With AK a defense has to be prepared to defend a RB who can line up anywhere in the formation on any given play. They have to be ready to chase him sideline to sideline. With Ingram they have to prepare for a power run game with screens and play action. That's a lot of dimensions to prepare for.

Also important to keep in mind the bad luck SP has had with injuries at the position. I know injuries are part of the position but we seemed to be snake bit with RBs. PT, Bush, Ivory, and Khiry Robinson were always dinged up. SP has seen his entire RB depth chart wiped out and was forced to trot out Julius Jones and Heath Evans in a playoff game.

Time to bump this question up. I remember how some were convinced the Saints would never leave the RB by committee system. So, will Kamara be able to handle the load or not?

There’s nothing AK can’t do and there’s no limit to what he can do. So yes, I personally think he can be a lead back. However, I do like the 2 headed monster attack bc i like ball control. Have to be able to run the ball for that. With that being said, the insertion of Taysom Hill getting carries adds a tremendous wrinkle, as opposing defenses scramble to try and stop it, when it’s evident that they can’t. Either way, our offense is fun to watch, especially if we get our passing game back to where it needs to be

No I don't think Kamara can be an "exclusive" lead back because I don't see him taking the pounding over an entire season without getting banged up.
We saw it last season when he was called on to handle the bulk of the load when Ingram was out the first 4 games and it showed up later in the season.

There was something different In AK#41's game last season that we didn't see in his rookie season. We saw a whole lot of ducking out of bounds when in his rookie season he would have juked a defender out of his jock and turned many plays into big gains because of it. We also saw a lot of hitting the deck plays that he didn't do in his rookie season.

I love Kamara but I just don't see him surviving being the feature back.

He will always be in a committee-style duo here under Payton... and I am in the minority... but I think he can be Todd Gurley... and I think he's proven that he can be that type of player.... (given the workload) So... in short... Yes.
Count me in that minority too. But I think it's because Kamara is the smoothest and most elusive runner ever in a Saints uni. And I love me some Pierre Thomas and Deuce Mc but they were great backs of a different style. Kamara is the most enjoyable back for me to watch since Walter Payton. I know that when goes into a crowd he will pull a Houdini and come out the other side. He is simply amazing and SHOULD get 25 touches a game. Period.

Fairly straightforward question. With the four week sample to start the season as a baseline, do you think Kamara is ready to take on exclusive lead back duties whenever the team moves on from Ingram?

In a word, yes. Took the liberty of extrapolating his numbers. He would have totaled 2,443 yards. Faulk was at 2,429, which is the record. Of course assuming no injuries, but he is a heck of a talent.

Player

Alvin Kamara
Year

Tm

NO
Att

Yds

Rec

Yds

Marshall Faulk1999STL2531,381871,048
Roger Craig1985SFO2141,050921,016
Marshall Faulk1998IND3241,31986908
David Johnson2016ARI2931,23980879
Le'Veon Bell2014PIT2901,36183854

I do think Kamara needs to see 3-5 more touches a game now that Ingram is gone. I’m a big Ingram fan but I feel Payton doesn’t have the pressure to make sure he gets his touches. We have Murray who is coming in to play a role knowing he is the 2nd man in line. He will play a very similar role as Ingram but we won’t have to force him the ball and go away from things that are working. Kamara is the feature back while Murray will fill in Ingrams role maybe an even better complimentary duo. Excited to see this backfield next season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom