Did Loomis help Vilma out? (1 Viewer)

saints5021

Have Faith In Breesus
Reaction score
I am not sure if I am off base, but I know that Vilma just restructured. If I am not mistaken, most of his base salary for this year was converted to a signing bonus. Does this mean he will only lose his base salary for this year, which is much smaller than it would have been pre-restructure?

Save on cap money *and* give our potentially suspended guys some extra cash they would have missed out on.

Loomis is all class.

I'm sure that wasn't Mickey's motivation but yep that's what it amounts to. Vilma gets a year of vacation at only a slight reduction in pay.

Pretty sure a year suspension means he gets nothing for a full year. No bonuses, no salary, nadda. Now Smith on the other hand, it does help, because since a lot of his base pay was converted to bonuses, he can get that money after the suspension is up.

Vilma doesnt even get to use the medical staff for his knee rehab (if its needed)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Pretty sure a year suspension means he gets nothing for a full year. No bonuses, no salary, nadda. Now Smith on the other hand, it does help, because since a lot of his base pay was converted to bonuses, he can get that money after the suspension is up.

Vilma doesnt even get to use the medical staff for his knee rehab (if its needed)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Signing bonuses are guaranteed dollars, so I don’t think they are subject to suspension, unless a team files to recoup it. Not sure though.

This how the contract of vilama look's like

Vilma’s contract had been scheduled to run through 2013. But the suspension changes that. Assuming Vilma does not have the suspension overturned on appeal, his contract “tolls’’ over according to league rules. What he was supposed to make in 2012, will now be his 2013 deal. What had been scheduled for 2013 will be pushed back to 2014.

But Vilma will not be paid this year. That means he’ll have to wait until next year to earn his $1.6 million base salary, a $600,000 roster bonus and a $100,000 workout bonus.

Source: Vilma suspension could lead to Brees deal - NFC South Blog - ESPN

Vilma is unlucky on that aspect

Signing bonuses are guaranteed dollars, so I don’t think they are subject to suspension, unless a team files to recoup it. Not sure though.

The problem is..

For Vilma, all the pay and bonus will be pushed back. he will not earn a penny with his contract. Everything will be pushed back.

"Vilma’s contract had been scheduled to run through 2013. But the suspension changes that. Assuming Vilma does not have the suspension overturned on appeal, his contract “tolls’’ over according to league rules. What he was supposed to make in 2012, will now be his 2013 deal. What had been scheduled for 2013 will be pushed back to 2014."

Source: espn

but a signing bonus is payed upon signing, correct? If that is the case, didn't he collect all that money a few weeks ago?

I'm sure that wasn't Mickey's motivation but yep that's what it amounts to. Vilma gets a year of vacation at only a slight reduction in pay.

I actually think it was Mickey's motivation, and I have thought that way ever since it happened. Mickey makes things happen without you even knowing about it. Never underestimate The Loomis.

I actually think it was Mickey's motivation, and I have thought that way ever since it happened. Mickey makes things happen without you even knowing about it. Never underestimate The Loomis.
I certainly don't but there's no way Mickey did that for Vilma's benefit. He was saving cap space, nothing more nothing less.

but a signing bonus is payed upon signing, correct? If that is the case, didn't he collect all that money a few weeks ago?

Not the roster/workout bonuses. Those were based on him not being suspended. As for the 1m signing bonus... I have no clue.

If the suspension stands (assuming no long drawn out lawsuit, which I actually expect), this would put the cap figure around 19 to 19.5m I believe, including Brees's franchise tag cap figure. If there ends up being no lawsuit and the suspension stands... I expect his deal to get finalized pretty soon.

I believe you are correct. When a player is suspended, he loses game checks. Vilma should already have the money since it was a bonus for signing the contract.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom