Director: FEMA more prepared than ever for hurricane season (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Director: FEMA more prepared than ever for hurricane season

By BRIAN SKOLOFF
Associated Press Writer

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency is more prepared than ever for the 2007 hurricane season, having at the ready helicopters, generators, disaster medical teams and road clearing crews to react within hours, FEMA Director R. David Paulison said Wednesday.

"So don't believe the stories that you've heard that FEMA and the federal government are not ready," Paulison told a crowd of emergency responders and others at the Florida Gov.'s Hurricane Conference.

The former Miami-Dade County fire chief assured the group that his agency is "a different FEMA, a new FEMA," one that has made solid partnerships with local governments and is prepared to deploy staff and supplies even before disaster declarations are issued.

"You won't see what happened with (Hurricane) Katrina happen again in this country," said Paulison, who was tapped by President Bush to replace former FEMA head Michael Brown in 2005 amid national scrutiny for the agency's slow response to Katrina.

more here:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...AOL-?SITE=LABAT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

All I know is if they haven't stocked the Superdome with thousands of MRE's and bottled water then FEMA is not ready. I know the Superdome will not be used as a shelter of last resort but if the city is flooded again people will still come to the dome invited or not.

Considering that they've never been ready for hurricane season, I'm, not sure that's really anything to boast about...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom