Do we lose Multirole Taysom when Drew returns. (1 Viewer)

Ihartsaints

Very Banned
Reaction score
In most minds, Taysom was a token #2 when the season started. Now it is more or less official.

Does that mean he now has to concentrate in practice on that role at the expense of his other positions?

We hope that Drew won't miss more time later in the season but we can't dismiss the possibility either.

If Taysom needs to be ready to step in during a playoff game, for example, shouldn't he be getting as many QB practice reps as possible for the rest of the season. Keeping him injury free is also a consideration.

Special teams have slipped a bit without Taysom and Harris.

In his interview with Rich Eisen he said if Drew comes back, he’ll just fall back into his old role. I’m sure the game experience he’s getting now is more valuable than the few practice reps the #2 gets.

The practice reps cover that week's game plan. With the #1 seed at stake.don't we want the #2 to be ready to execute the game plan?

It’s a great question that we all think about. It’s a win you lose and vice versa. The risk percentage based on Taysom being your definite heir to QB, and still playing him at the “joker”, doesn’t make sense.

It'll make teams fear him more. They know him as a runner and bulldozer but now they have to account for a possible pass with DB and TH in, HB pass, toss to TH then pass, types of plays. CSP will draw up some gimmick type of play to throw defenses off. They can't crowd the line when TH in because he throws Too now.

It'll make teams fear him more. They know him as a runner and bulldozer but now they have to account for a possible pass with DB and TH in, HB pass, toss to TH then pass, types of plays. CSP will draw up some gimmick type of play to throw defenses off. They can't crowd the line when TH in because he throws Too now.
This is my take also. Now that Hill had time to develop game time passing and more "practice" at the quarterback position, teams now don't have a clue what can happen when he's in. Before, we all knew he was gonna run it, now we don't even know. lol

We won’t really know until we see for sure, but if Taysom resumes his Swiss-Army knife role, defenses will undoubtedly have to respect the pass option much more... and like others have stated in other threads... that should open up running lanes and space even more!

I just think we need to look at last year's Minnesota playoff game. Who was the best player on the Saints?...It was Hill who gave us the spark before Brees fumbled at the end. I'm not saying we should take Brees from the game plan, but I believe we should up Hill's % on QB snaps. To me, Hill is the x-factor that we will need to beat the top tiers like the RAMS, PACK , Seahwawks...

The Saints are currently winning without him playing at the gadget position, so I don't think it's critical to put him in that position in order to win. However, I can't imagine Taysom being happy if he is not on the field playing and just waiting for Drew to get injured. My belief is that he will resume his role and if Drew gets injured Winston will finish the game since his style is more similar to Drew's, so he would fit in better at the scheme for that weeks game plan. Then, if Drew can't return for the next game Taysom would take over and the game plan be set for his style.

I think he goes back to his old role for sure, and we'll probably see his old role put on steroids now that he has passing experience and is truly showing himself to be worthy of being the successor.

It is important to note - we are allowed to have him go back to this role because we have an insurance policy at QB in Jameis.

The Saints are currently winning without him playing at the gadget position, so I don't think it's critical to put him in that position in order to win. However, I can't imagine Taysom being happy if he is not on the field playing and just waiting for Drew to get injured. My belief is that he will resume his role and if Drew gets injured Winston will finish the game since his style is more similar to Drew's, so he would fit in better at the scheme for that weeks game plan. Then, if Drew can't return for the next game Taysom would take over and the game plan be set for his style.

The Saints don’t miss him at the “gadget position” because he’s touching the ball every play as the QB. Taysom brings a running threat to the QB position that very few QBs (throughout the history of the NFL) have ever brought. Drew Brees is a legend, but he’s not scrambling for 1st downs... or popping 40+ yard runs if the coverage is too good.

With Colonel Trautman emerging and seeing his role grow, and WRs like CGM, Sanders, and TQS performing... I’d love to see Taysom Hill assume more of a role as a H-Back or pseudo-FB.
No matter what... I don’t think it makes sense to just sit Taysom down and give him a clipboard and headset.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom