Do we lose Multirole Taysom when Drew returns. (1 Viewer)

The Saints don’t miss him at the “gadget position” because he’s touching the ball every play as the QB. Taysom brings a running threat to the QB position that very few QBs (throughout the history of the NFL) have ever brought. Drew Brees is a legend, but he’s not scrambling for 1st downs... or popping 40+ yard runs if the coverage is too good.

Over the last 3 games, with Taysom Hill starting and playing exclusively at QB, Taysom has 178 rushing yards.

From the beginning of the season... right up until he left with a shattered rib cage and collapsed lung... Drew Brees has a total of 1 rushing yard on the season.

That is an important stat to consider when considering how “the Saints didn’t miss Taysom Hill in his gadget role since Brees has been out.”

Bottom line is that Taysom Hill is a producer for the offense, and the Saints need him in whatever capacity.

The Saints are currently winning without him playing at the gadget position, so I don't think it's critical to put him in that position in order to win. However, I can't imagine Taysom being happy if he is not on the field playing and just waiting for Drew to get injured. My belief is that he will resume his role and if Drew gets injured Winston will finish the game since his style is more similar to Drew's, so he would fit in better at the scheme for that weeks game plan. Then, if Drew can't return for the next game Taysom would take over and the game plan be set for his style.
I think which QB would come in to finish a game if Drew gets reinjured is more of an open question now that Hill has multiple games under his belt.

I really hope Drew doesn't rush himself back too soon. Even if he's recovered enough to effectively throw, if he still has soreness it would seem he'll be vulnerable to reinjury.

Ideally, we want a fully healthy Drew for the playoff run. I wouldn't mind at all if he is held out until the Carolina game and plays for a half to warm up for the big show.

I’m pretty sure his roll will go back to the way it was before Drew was injured. The plan all along was if Drew got hurt during a game Winston would come in for relief because Taysom was already filling a role for that particular game plan. If Drew missed a start than Taysom would be the starter. That’s exactly how things played out and I don’t see why that would change. If anything I think it will just open up the playbook even more for Taysom when Drew returns.

Taysom being in while Drew is playing will makd the Saints offense lethal. It will be essentially 12 men vs 11. With Taysom hou dont know if he is going to run, be a WR, TE or recieve a pitch and throw the football. With defenses having to keep an eye on Taysom itll be impossible to double cover a recieving target. Heck defenses might blow a few coverages a game which will lead to big plays.

You add the versatility of what Kamara can do (now defenses have to think about him throwing) defenses are going to have fits. With Thomas, Sanders and TQS ability to catch the ball and the Saints outstanding ability to pound the football, this offense is almost indefensible.

Better Question:

Drew goes down mid/early game during a playoff game. Which QB do they then turn to to finish the rest of the game with our playoff lives on the line.

When Drew returns, I think Taysom goes back to his joker role, which means that Winston is the #2. That way, whatever role Taysom had in the game plan doesn't get tossed out. Just a guess.

I think he goes back to his old role for sure, and we'll probably see his old role put on steroids now that he has passing experience and is truly showing himself to be worthy of being the successor.

It is important to note - we are allowed to have him go back to this role because we have an insurance policy at QB in Jameis.
That is how I see it. When Drew comes back Taysoms 'wildcat' role should be expanded greatly with his now proven ability to drop back and pass effectively. Teams IMO will really be hesitant when he is in to over react to a possible run!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom